964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-14-2009, 06:56 AM
airfan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie

well, not entierly. I have written a few posts in the past years, but have mostly used this excellent forum to look for information on all things 964. Thank you Jason Andreas, Bill Verburg and others, I have learnt a lot here!
Previous Porsches include a -65 and a -67 911 as well as a -73? 914.
My car is a -90 C2 in forrest green and I use it as a daily driver from april to september. A PO installed Bilsteins and stiffer springs, (branded UWE GEMBALLA) and I think the car handles well. I am gradually modifying it to make it a little more trackday biased. But so far I have mostly spent my time and money repairing and replacing worn out parts.
Things completed:
Engine and gearbox out, set valve clearances, replaced sound insulation, restored starter motor and generator. New CV boots installed. Repaired and repainted some tinware. Installed single belt fan and generator drive. New brake hoses installed. Replaced some oil lines in the engine oil and steering servo systems. No oil leak's anywere now , ().
Installed ODYSSEY 680 battery, works just great even for daily driving! Installed a CUP pipe, it's a little quiet for my taste, but a reasonable compromise as we sometimes use the car for touring. RS joints at steering rack also installed.
Things deleted:
Rear seats, belts and parcel shelf. Rear wiper. Cabin warm air fan in engine compartment. CD changer.
Things left to do this winter:
Installing new brake rotors today! After much consideration I had a machine shop cut slits or "grooves" in them, they are said to be less prone to cracking than crossdrilled rotors. Well, I'll find out how the theories work coming sprintime...
Question: Should I keep the rotor protection plates on or not? I've seen pictures of Bill Verburgs car with them off....
Repair the CCU, the sampling air fan runs for a very long time after ignition off nowadays. Have the new transistor on order as per Jason's instructions.
The oil cooling fan control part of the CCU is also u/s, so I installed a toggle switch under the dash to control the fan manually. Is there a known CCU repair for this?
Installing Mille Miglia 964RS replica wheels if I can find a good deal!
Things to do next winter:
Just kidding, but after writing this, I realize I'm on the slippery slope..
I do however find comfort in the fact that I am not alone!

Regards
Airfan
Old 02-14-2009, 08:43 AM
HAB5000
Instructor

Sounds like an interesting project.

How about some pics!!?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:47 PM
airfan
Advanced

HAB5000,
I would if I could, but my digital camera "had an accident" and is u/s. I'll try the cellphone camera tomorrow. If the pic's turn out ok I'll try to upload them.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you find the 64 in the very cold?
Its been very cold recently in the UK, ice ,snow ect;
Do you stil use your car in the bad conditions?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

What HAB5000 said, pics, pics, pics please...
Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Nice! can"t wait to see the pics!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 AM
airfan
Advanced

964russ
I don't use it during the winter months. I did however drive my previous 911's during winters. I thought they were good winter cars, with exceptional traction. Tire choice was critical and I did use spikes. It was good fun to practice throttlesteering on the frozen lakes in northen Sweden where I lived at the time!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
airfan
Advanced

sorry about the quality of the pic,s, using the cellphone camera. New front rotor with slots. The lower picture shows the Odyssey 680 installation.The bracket is stainless steel and fits into the car's original attachments. Its a tight fit. Notice the plastic cover for the positive terminal.
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie