Sponsored by:

RS WHEELS---WHAT ARE THESE WORTH ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:02 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vhanzon
The Jetta doesn't have the engine in the rear, which means you need new (N-rated tires). So what you are paying for are the wheels, not the tires I guess..
Oh, I c---explain why please, the N rated, rear engine, need for different tires etc? Thanks

I only planned to use the wheels as beater wheels
Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

The Jetta doesn't have the engine in the rear, which means you need new (N-rated tires). So what you are paying for are the wheels, not the tires I guess..
Oh, I c---explain why please, the N rated, rear engine, need for different tires etc? Thanks

I only planned to use the wheels as beater wheels
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. This has been debated before but the pricinple (as well as my opinion) is that Porsche cars requires tires that are Porsche approved (=N-rated). This means that the structure of the tires (F/R) are different than a normal tire because the fact that the engine is in the rear (as is not the case with most other cars) puts more load on the rear tires, which then in turn needs to be strenght-adjusted accordingly. Therefore the "normal" rear tires like these that were on the Jetta are not recommended to use on a Porsche. I'm sure others will think differently and it also depends on application but alas, this is what N-rated tires are all about.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. This has been debated before but the pricinple (as well as my opinion) is that Porsche cars requires tires that are Porsche approved (=N-rated). This means that the structure of the tires (F/R) are different than a normal tire because the fact that the engine is in the rear (as is not the case with most other cars) puts more load on the rear tires, which then in turn needs to be strenght-adjusted accordingly. Therefore the "normal" rear tires like these that were on the Jetta are not recommended to use on a Porsche. I'm sure others will think differently and it also depends on application but alas, this is what N-rated tires are all about.
Okay thank you for the explanation, that makes sense---I never even considered that.

I would only be running these wheels for a little bit at a time, I only drive the car probably 25 miles a week max-----would it be an issue for that much use, I would hate to waste tires with that much tread.

The guy obviously needs money, I have talked him down to $450
Old 02-15-2009, 01:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Forget about the rating, it's the size of the tires that is the problem. They are a completely different diameter.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:10 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Scratching my head as to where to find the N on the various Hoosiers, Toyos, Kumhos........hell, even BFG's we used 15 years ago when these cars were new. Hard to imagine a racing environment is easier on a tire that puttering around a public road (save flat out Autobahn running, which I guarantee you no one on this side of the ocean is doing.) Not to mention about 20 years of 911 production was safe for the roads until that little N started magically appearing for who knows what reason.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Originally Posted by race911
Scratching my head as to where to find the N on the various Hoosiers, Toyos, Kumhos........hell, even BFG's we used 15 years ago when these cars were new. Hard to imagine a racing environment is easier on a tire that puttering around a public road (save flat out Autobahn running, which I guarantee you no one on this side of the ocean is doing.) Not to mention about 20 years of 911 production was safe for the roads until that little N started magically appearing for who knows what reason.
That makes sense, good call

Also, I wont be making any high speed run's on these tires, I dont track my car, and if I can pick these wheels up for $450, I can buy a replacement front tire for $140 shipped, and have these wheels silver and my twists black, this way if I sell the car, I can sell the twists and let the car go with the cup 1's.

Regardless of the tires, they will work fine for the time being for what I am using them for---I'd just like to switch from black to silver every now and then, I drive 45mph to work and back, 3 days a week, 4 miles each way and thats all.

$450 a good deal?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP: Sorry for going OT.

Ken and Ilko - I never said all tires we run must be N-rated. I just said it is "recommended". That means that whenever I buy a tire that is available in both "normal" spec. and N-rated spec. I pick the latter over the former.

Quick Reply: RS WHEELS---WHAT ARE THESE WORTH ?