Sponsored by:

993 Interior in a 964?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Interior in a 964?

I have found 993 inner door panels and carpet set for sale, and am considering putting them in my 964. Would these fit?

I am hoping that the inner door panels would be a direct swap... They look much nicer than my ratty 964 panels.

Thanks in advance.

RG.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the door panels are; and it's a common enough swap. Not sure on the carpets.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the carpet set new? If so, the carpet is not an exact fit anyway. You have to do a fair bit of fitting and trimming to get the carpet right.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

The doors and carpet are in a wrecked 993 right now, so I'd have to take it out and install into mine.

I am thinking about the entire interior now actually. Back seats, inner rear 1/4 panels. Center console, handbrake etc etc. (Basically everything except dash and front seats.)

One thing I've noticed is the 993 door panels don't have the rotary **** for the power locks. Has anyone out there tried this?

I don't mind cutting the carpet and fiddling with it if it will look good when done...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO the carpet will not be salvegable. The carpet is glued down extremely well! Mine came out in pieces. Here is a pic. Also the rear quarter panels are slightly different from the 964 and won't fit without modification. What color is the interior? I have a tan set of 964 interior corner panels I will sell cheap!

Last edited by Porsche917K; 12-23-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my...that is a lot of glue!

I have a grey pair of interior panels that I would sell somewhere I think..just in case!
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Yikes. OK. Thanks for the pic. Will definitely not do the carpets!

Thanks for the info.

R.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Rob, Is the wrecked 993 a local Vancouver car?, I may need a couple of small parts.

Steen
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Hey Steen,

Yeah, it was on Craigslist. The listing is no longer there, so I'll PM the sellers email address to you.

RG.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 PM
1990-964
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob Gill
The doors and carpet are in a wrecked 993 right now, so I'd have to take it out and install into mine.

I am thinking about the entire interior now actually. Back seats, inner rear 1/4 panels. Center console, handbrake etc etc. (Basically everything except dash and front seats.)

One thing I've noticed is the 993 door panels don't have the rotary **** for the power locks. Has anyone out there tried this?

I don't mind cutting the carpet and fiddling with it if it will look good when done...
While the door panels do fit, they are not a straight bolt on. Though it is very close. I did this last year and found a couple of things that you may want to keep in mind. The door pull mount bolts at the bottom, near the release lever needed to be longer which for me at the time required a trip to the hardware store. The upper holes do not line up with anything at all since the door pull is at a different angle than the original. It was not much of a problem. I fabricated a stel strap that I bolted into the door inner skin and used a nut clip on it to give the upper bolts somewhere to attach to. As for the rotory lock **** wheel, wile it is removed the stud did make contact with the inner surface of the door card. To keep it from abrading through I took a piece of metal and double back taped it to the door card to give the stud something to rub against. You could also take a Dremel and trim it down but I chose not to take that approach. Everything else lines right up and it is a terrific improvement both in appearance and ergonomics. The first one took about 3 hours to complete but by the time I got to the second one I had it all done in about 90 min. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just out of interest, can you not source 964 parts? Personally I would hate having a hybrid frankenporsche
Old 02-13-2009, 10:01 PM
1990-964
Pro

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Just out of interest, can you not source 964 parts? Personally I would hate having a hybrid frankenporsche
It's clear that you just do not get it. Nothing wrong at all with a bone stock car but also nothing wrong with making tasteful changes to personalize ones car to their own liking.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1990-964
It's clear that you just do not get it. Nothing wrong at all with a bone stock car but also nothing wrong with making tasteful changes to personalize ones car to their own liking.
No I don't in this particular case I agree but I am sorry to have caused the offense so clearly taken.

I also agree that there nothing wrong with making 'tasteful' changes or modifying ones car however one wants (regardless of taste.)

My opinion is that swapping interiors between models however is in fact not so tasteful and would devalue the car. Personally a little wear and patina is preferable than this.

Admittedly I'd still be the first to want to see pictures of this however and would thoroughly enjoy the thread.

Best to you 1990 (and please share any pics of your car and its modifications)

--Howard
Old 02-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Rob Gill
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to pass, as the seller wanted too much money, and it's not possible to retro fit certain pieces like the inner rear quarter panels etc.

Cheers,

RG.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
doruiacovescu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1990-964
While the door panels do fit, they are not a straight bolt on. Though it is very close. I did this last year and found a couple of things that you may want to keep in mind. The door pull mount bolts at the bottom, near the release lever needed to be longer which for me at the time required a trip to the hardware store. The upper holes do not line up with anything at all since the door pull is at a different angle than the original. It was not much of a problem. I fabricated a stel strap that I bolted into the door inner skin and used a nut clip on it to give the upper bolts somewhere to attach to. As for the rotory lock **** wheel, wile it is removed the stud did make contact with the inner surface of the door card. To keep it from abrading through I took a piece of metal and double back taped it to the door card to give the stud something to rub against. You could also take a Dremel and trim it down but I chose not to take that approach. Everything else lines right up and it is a terrific improvement both in appearance and ergonomics. The first one took about 3 hours to complete but by the time I got to the second one I had it all done in about 90 min. Good Luck!
Can you show us a picture of that steel piece?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 993 Interior in a 964?