Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish
like thus

Interesting, the fellow I bought the seat and mounts from also had the brackets mounted backwards from usual in his 993. I'll try that, see what happens.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Bill- Note the ones specified for the Profi XL are aluminum, not steel, pictured in upper right below.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks, Recaro doesn't list it but there is a steel and an aluminum version of the sidemounts for XL seats

I'm going to grind down the sidemount flanges and use button head bolts, that may gain the necessary clearance.

it's an adventure
Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The bolts shown in PET for the seats are special low profile as pictured, the gold one is from Porsche, the silver is normal height.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I had some 'normal' (black oxide-coated, steel alloy) socket head cap screws (SHCS) milled down to the head height of that yellowish SHCS, shown.
The alloy's remaining socket is still more than enough deep to take substantial installation/reinstallation torques. Unlike that factory yellow.
It's far stronger than that lead-soft factory seat screw. (how I hate 'em!)

...food for thought of an alternative.

fwiw, both the bolts shown are probably zinc coated, I think. And the yellowish hue is from a hexavalent chromate (HC) coating on top of that. I understand that that HC is on its way out. It's already banned on European autos. World carcinogenic police.
I think.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by elbeee964
I had some 'normal' (black oxide-coated, steel alloy) socket head cap screws (SHCS) milled down to the head height of that yellowish SHCS, shown.
The alloy's remaining socket is still more than enough deep to take substantial installation/reinstallation torques. Unlike that factory yellow.
It's far stronger than that lead-soft factory seat screw. (how I hate 'em!)

...food for thought of an alternative.

fwiw, both the bolts shown are probably zinc coated, I think. And the yellowish hue is from a hexavalent chromate (HC) coating on top of that. I understand that that HC is on its way out. It's already banned on European autos. World carcinogenic police.
I think.
Good idea to start with a 12.9 bolt and cut it if you can, the factory gold bolts are grade 8.8 and do tend to distort at the recommended torque.

The bolts shown are years old "new old stock" and most likely were cadmium plated when the carcinogen police were not so prevalent.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
The bolts shown in PET for the seats are special low profile as pictured, the gold one is from Porsche, the silver is normal height.

Thanks again, I have some M6 button heads that look like they will clear, I'll have some M8 10.9s that I prefer tomorrow, I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

My seat parts were as follows...

Recaro Pole Positions
Speedware Aluminum Sidemounts
Recaro sliders
Euro GT3 Sub Bars

If anyone wants specifics or pics of my install, just let me know.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:02 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
agreed, the seats alone seem to be a black art
Having read many, many threads on here about fitting recaro seats, I think 'black art' is a perfect description of it. On the advice of a number of UK Rennlisters and Ninemeister I contacted Southbound Trimmers who having become aware of the problem some time ago, decided to manufacture their own side mounts. Along with Recaro sliders (pre-drilled to bolt on a 964 floor) which are supplied as part of the kit, the seats sit as low as possible to ensure there is a maximum headroom. This is very much a buy the kit and bolt in solution for fitting Recaro seats.

The only criticism I would aim at these side mounts is that the position of the welded in seat belt attachment point doesn't work well with the normal 3 point receiver (hence my use of the rear seat beat receivers as mentioned earlier).
Old 12-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
My seat parts were as follows...

Recaro Pole Positions
Speedware Aluminum Sidemounts
Recaro sliders
Euro GT3 Sub Bars

If anyone wants specifics or pics of my install, just let me know.
Anypics or details on how the GT3 sub bars went in?

Curious about the Speedware sidemounts too??
Old 12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Having read many, many threads on here about fitting recaro seats, I think 'black art' is a perfect description of it. On the advice of a number of UK Rennlisters and Ninemeister I contacted Southbound Trimmers who having become aware of the problem some time ago, decided to manufacture their own side mounts. Along with Recaro sliders (pre-drilled to bolt on a 964 floor) which are supplied as part of the kit, the seats sit as low as possible to ensure there is a maximum headroom. This is very much a buy the kit and bolt in solution for fitting Recaro seats.

The only criticism I would aim at these side mounts is that the position of the welded in seat belt attachment point doesn't work well with the normal 3 point receiver (hence my use of the rear seat beat receivers as mentioned earlier).
Thanks, very Interesting, I can guarantee that no cap or hex head bolt will work w/ either Bk 9062(6) or Recaro(mounted normally & in the low position) . M6 button head seems to clear and i'll try M8 button head today.

They have a welded on reinforced spot for the tunnel side stock seta belt receiver? You guys are having better luck w/ the rear seat belt receivers? I'll have to try that.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Anypics or details on how the GT3 sub bars went in?

Curious about the Speedware sidemounts too??
The GT3 sub bars are a pretty good fit. They only need to be slightly modified to get them to fit. I wasn't very happy with the speedware sidemounts. The only reason I used them was because they originally sent me the wrong Recaro sidemounts and there were no Recaro sidemounts available in the timeframe I needed for the track season.

If I was going to do this on another 964, I would do aluminum Recaro sidemounts and the GT3 sub bar. I think this combo provides for a pretty easy install.

Here is a pic when I was mocking everything up.

Last edited by Porsche917K; 12-23-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, very Interesting, I can guarantee that no cap or hex head bolt will work w/ either Bk 9062(6) or Recaro(mounted normally & in the low position) . M6 button head seems to clear and i'll try M8 button head today.

They have a welded on reinforced spot for the tunnel side stock seta belt receiver? You guys are having better luck w/ the rear seat belt receivers? I'll have to try that.
Here's a better view of the reinforced spot that takes the seat belt receiver:

And here's a pic of the mounts and the recaro sliders fitted to the car. In this pic the standard front receiver has been fitted but I later found that the more flexible rear receivers worked better for me.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Here's a better view of the reinforced spot that takes the seat belt receiver:

And here's a pic of the mounts and the recaro sliders fitted to the car. In this pic the standard front receiver has been fitted but I later found that the more flexible rear receivers worked better for me.

very nice!!, and the rear bolts clear Pole position seat bottoms in the back??
Old 12-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
The GT3 sub bars are a pretty good fit. They only need to be slightly modified to get them to fit. I wasn't very happy with the speedware sidemounts. The only reason I used them was because they originally sent me the wrong Recaro sidemounts and there were no Recaro sidemounts available in the timeframe I needed for the track season.

If I was going to do this on another 964, I would do aluminum Recaro sidemounts and the GT3 sub bar. I think this combo provides for a pretty easy install.

Here is a pic when I was mocking everything up.
Excellent! I usually see the GT3 sub bar mounted further back, Schroth wants straight down to 20* back on the subs,

It appears that the sub bar is sandwiched between the slider and the sidemount, do you know the thickness of the bar plate where it is sandwiched?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that the sub bar is sandwiched between the slider and the sidemount, do you know the thickness of the bar plate where it is sandwiched?
The sub bar is mounted on top of the side mounts, sandwiched between the washers and the side mounts.

Quick Reply: Phase II Completed - Recaro and Harness Install