Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Phase II Completed - Recaro and Harness Install

Spent the past month on the following projects:

Installed Cup Bypass and Cat Bypass (pita but well worth it)
Replaced entire carpet with original 964 RS carpet (pita!)
Installed AP car design rear bolt-in cage, powdercoated in white with cross bar. Roll bar bolted to the floor and rear wheel arches:

Installed Schroth 6 point harness
Parts:
- Deist eye bolt to mount lap belt to center tunnel (easy)
- "Outside" mounting eye attached to original seat belt mount (easy)
- BK mount for sub belt mounted between the sliders and seat (pita!)

Still need some roll bar padding to hold the shoulder belts appart.

Guess I'm done now - just waiting for better weather

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 12-29-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, I would have painted the Recaro seat backs white too just like the factory RS cars did.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
.....Installed Schroth 6 point harness
Parts:
- Deist eye bolt to mount lap belt to center tunnel (easy)
- "Outside" mounting eye attached to original seat belt mount (easy)
- BK mount for sub belt mounted between the sliders and seat (pita!)

Care to go into more detail, more pics?? I'm considering the BK9031 bar too. Did a test fit of one seat and don't see how the stock tunnel side seat belt receptacle can possibly fit, maybe if the console is cut down
Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the BK sub bars require much modification to get them to fit right? Are you using Recaro sliders?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Care to go into more detail, more pics?? I'm considering the BK9031 bar too. Did a test fit of one seat and don't see how the stock tunnel side seat belt receptacle can possibly fit, maybe if the console is cut down
Here are some more pictures of the inside and outside lap belt mounts. I would not recommend mounting the inside lap belt to the seat but to the tunnel itself as shown. Inside lap belt mount:

Outside lap belt mount:

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
Did the BK sub bars require much modification to get them to fit right? Are you using Recaro sliders?
I have the Recaro sliders as well and they need modification for the BK bar to fit because the sliders are too close together for the bar (it is too wide). I had to cut out the sliders for the bar to fit with my Dremel. Sorry no pictures.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, Thanks VERY MUCH for that!!!!!!!!! Now I can't get up from the computer desk

More pics of your car please.................
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Inside lap belt mount:
exactly how i have mine, in the right place according the the RS sheet metal work dimensions.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Yeah, Thanks VERY MUCH for that!!!!!!!!! Now I can't get up from the computer desk

More pics of your car please.................
Here you go:

Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!, I have a harness mount on the tunnel like you show on yours, how did you attach the stock seat belt receptical on the tunnel side? I've been trying to use the RS bracket but it sure doesn't fit well(maybe not at all)

The BK 9031 bar doesn't fit between the Recaro sliders?

I asked BK about this, they said that you just have to drill the slders for the 9031mounting bolts, Hmmmm???
Old 12-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

All Porsche did on the RS was add weld in T nuts at the tunnel and the floor for the substrap and center belt. LIke this:

Why not just fit the hardware circled below in the center tunner where Porsche used the T nuts?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!, I have a harness mount on the tunnel like you show on yours, how did you attach the stock seat belt receptical on the tunnel side?

The BK 9031 bar doesn't fit between the Recaro sliders?
The BK 9031 bar fits within the sliders but not within the seat mounts. I had to carve out the seat mounts to get the bar in between the sliders and the seat mounts. In my car, the stock seat belt receptical on the tunnel side is mounted between the sliders and seat side mounts with a bracket that looks like this (available at Stable Energies). There is enough room but it is tight:

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Why not just fit the hardware circled below in the center tunner where Porsche used the T nuts?
That's exactly what I did - sorry if that wasn't clear.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 12-27-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok that's pretty much what I have except w/ factory parts

RS tunnel side stock seat belt mount & washers(black) for height leveling, Recaro flat sliders(

here's a mock up

I also have Recaro sidemounts, but the BKs lower the seat, maybe too much, I'll need to get some butten heads which may give the clearance needed between the seat bottom and the sidemounts. Otherwise it's back to the Recaro side mounts.

yes, I have the tunnel mounts for the harness, thought I'd try the clip ons at the stock mount to see how that would work, looks like not too well.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Bill, the stock center bracket goes between the upper track slider and the seat's side plates on the stock RS with the 928 sliders. This means that seat belt loads are transmitted across the slider set to the floor.

The other 3 seat corners require 8 X 27 X 3 mm spacer washers( part number 999 025 231 03) to space them up to match. This is shown as part #23 in the PET illustration.

Also, I am not sure the Recaro sliders you are using are built for these seat belt loads. I would bolt the seat belt mount between the sliders and the floor and use the spacer washers under the track as well.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, the stock center bracket goes between the upper track slider and the seat's side plates on the stock RS with the 928 sliders. This means that seat belt loads are transmitted across the slider set to the floor.

The other 3 seat corners require 8 X 27 X 3 mm spacer washers( part number 999 025 231 03) to space them up to match. This is shown as part #23 in the PET illustration.
yes, You can see that in the pics in Post #12, the washer in the forward tunnel side position is clearly visible

Also, I am not sure the Recaro sliders you are using are built for these seat belt loads. I would bolt the seat belt mount between the sliders and the floor and use the spacer washers under the track as well.
The recaro sliders appear to be beefier than the 928s, it's certainly hard to assess. If the L bracket is mounted under the sliders then it's fixed like the harness mount, that's what I am trying to avoid. It's ok for the harness, which will be mounted through the side hole but not the rigid stock belt receiver.

I'm wondering if I was sold the wrong side mounts, as there seems to be interference between the sidemounts and the GRP seat base. Grrrrr!

I was also hoping that the sub belt bar could be similarly sandwiched
Old 12-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering if I was sold the wrong side mounts, as there seems to be interference between the sidemounts and the GRP seat base. Grrrrr!
This is always a problem since there is a several centimeter difference in each of the seat widths whether it is a SPG, XL, Pole, factory RS or whatever and neither Recaro or anyone else seems to get this right vis a vis supplying the correct side plate.

Quick Reply: Phase II Completed - Recaro and Harness Install