Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

...you 'da man, NH!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 Follow up questions:

My winter stunt driving set off one of my brake wear sensors. I visually inspected all pads a week ago and had plenty left. Could packed snow/water trip one of these? How do the sensors work? is it just a plunger switch?

Also, my new to me car is lowered and seems to wants to follow every crack in the pavement. When I drove on 2 inches of fluffy snow drift for a couple hundred yards the car felt like it wanted an excuse to depart the road. The car seemed nervous and squirly. I am used to the factory turbo suspension on the 2004 C4S I used to own. Is this sensitivity due to the stiffer, more agressive suspension?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The wear sensors are simple. They are wired to the brake pads and have a slim copper loop attached to the brake pads. When the pads are worn, the copper strip wears thru and breaks the electrical continuity of the circuit which turns on the light. I would check that your sensor wires are still attached at the calipers.

As for your car tramlining, I suspect you may need an alignment. When was the last time it was done? And what specs were used? A factory alignment on a lowered car should track well. One with an aggressive (track) alignment will tend to wander more.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Rob, I had the wheels pretty gunked up with snow? If I go down and turn the key the light may go out? I think my alignment is pretty agressive, I will have to get it checked out.
Steve
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had an aggressive alignment setup on my car when I bought it. I caused the front tires to get scrubbed off inside of 1000 miles. I had to replace them when I fixed the alignment for a more streetable setup.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Livefreeandrive;6145981]2 Follow up questions:

My winter stunt driving set off one of my brake wear sensors. I visually inspected all pads a week ago and had plenty left. Could packed snow/water trip one of these? How do the sensors work? is it just a plunger switch?

Mine gets tripped by deep car wash (I know one of the sensors is cracked),but goes back to normal (no light) after drying/driving for a while(with resestting ignition key),I suspect wet snow = same effect.

+1 on alignement,its amazing how different these cars drive when set up correctly !!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup, the car thawed out with some garage heat and the light is out today. I am definitely getting the car realigned as i do not see any receipts and one front tire is wearing a bit on the inside? I bought the Bentley manual and the wheel alignment process looks pretty complex. I guess I will have to go to an experienced shop as I had a newer car before and went to the dealer for warranty stuff.
Steve
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and now, for a collective cringe:

Last edited by cbwayo; 02-17-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

When I first put my snow tires on this year, I still had a very aggresive alingment left from the last de I did. It was quite a handful in the snow, so bad I thought it might be time to get a new set of winters. After setting it back to a normal alingment, it is again very easy to drive in the snow. So I would get that checked.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbwayo
and now, for a collective cringe:
Emergency cleaning alert!
If you need a group of us to come to Cape Cod, we can be there by morning!
Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Cody D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chodaboy
On the next Intervention: A Porsche forum rallies to help a fellow owner whose car is dirty. We're there for you bud.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM
cbwayo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chodaboy
stand by. i've been waiting for the thermometer to register above 30 for days now. Currently at 13 F.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope you've got the right tires.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Just drove my '94 black/black C2 up to the ski hill today...maybe 2 inches of fresh pow with some ice patches thrown in...the car just wanted to keep clawing it's way all the way to the top...the ABS is such a nice bonus as well...im using fresh PS2's...I live on the west coast of America and it just gives me such a great euro feel. People definitely trip out when they see me up there! The only problem is the dept of trans lays down cinder rock when it gets icy...I also saw a beautiful black Panamera up there the other day...that car looked soooo good parked with his parking lamps on in the white stuff! Remember a film called "downhill racer" with Robert Redford...? I think he drove an early 911 all over the snowy mountains...he was a ski racer...pretty aggressively as I remember! Anyway...so nice to hear that not every Porsche owner has a garage queen (no offense to those who do!). I do, however, pressure wash the car after every snowy/muddy drive! I do also use a custom full hood bra in the winter...helps Reduce the rock chips a lot! BTW...anyone go to Austin for the F1 race...awesome! I highly recommend it! Keep the stories coming! Happy Holidays!

Quick Reply: C4 braves the first big snow