Sponsored by:

Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus,

My rear reflector is badly cracked as a result of a shunt. In one piece but with proper cracks. Would the kit cover these up or would they still be visible?

Jack
Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM
rocketdogbert
Advanced

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Gus,

My rear reflector is badly cracked as a result of a shunt. In one piece but with proper cracks. Would the kit cover these up or would they still be visible?

Jack
You need the same glue they inject into windscreens. It has the same refractive index as the glass hence the cracks don't show, and it glues them together. Should be similar to your plastics

John
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rocketdogbert
You need the same glue they inject into windscreens. It has the same refractive index as the glass hence the cracks don't show, and it glues them together. Should be similar to your plastics

John
Hey thanks John, will try this out! have bought some resin from Ebay.. will let you know how it goes..
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Jack - take a look through this thread section, think there are some pictures of crazzied plastic that has been covered with the film earlier on. While these may be as bad or not as bad as the broken section you have it will give you an idea of the film coverage/hide capability. The crack will probably still be visible up close. I can send you a vinyl strip as test to see what the results might be like if you would like- at least it would give you an idea about the coverage and maybe help you decide if the kit will do what you want it to.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jack.pe
Gus,

Jack
I will say it can cover the cracks mostly. Here are my crack and aged reflector and rear lights. If you not close up them, it is not noticeable.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Thanks P-up -
Your pictures do a great job of showing what the film does to help.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Admittedly I have been a detractor from the film in the past, however, it looks like the film might be the best option for a cracked reflector.

I painted my reflector on my old C4 and was surprised by how easy it was and how stunning the results were. The pictures are still in this old thread (scroll down for before and after shots):

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-lights-2.html
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Big Raff
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gus, do you still offer these kits? I will need one shipped to the UK so the $62 is what i can send through

Also anyone else int he UK have problem with the reverse light and legality situation...don't really want to cut out the square...

Thank you
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Kits are still available - just use PAYPAL to gustavwf@mac.com -
I will get the kit out to you once confirmed -
Will send by Post - time is usually a little less than 10 days
I have sent quite a few to GB - I am not sure about the solution used by others -
Maybe someone will chime in here
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gus, still very happy with the look since applying your kit. MOT for me is Oct so I'll know then what the legal issues are. Gotta say the indicator flash is very red. I tried green bulb paint on the bulbs and even with one coat there was so little light coming through that in day light you couldn't see the flash - so I reverted to red flash.

I need to have a look at the reversing light, don't think mine works at the mo but can see that being an issue too. I guess it depends, as always, on who you get testing.

Any solutions to reverse light or indicator gratefully received.

N
Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Big Raff
Advanced

Thanks Gus, Payment has been made you should get that asap. Thanks once again

N, cheers for that...i have an MOT due in Feb, so a while away yet...though i am quite happy with the thought of slightly red reverse lights
Old 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I am watching how this is going to work in the UK, please keep us updated guys. Pink reverse lights might be a bit camp, but I bet the sticking point is going to be orange-enough indicators (which will probably be down to the current mental state of your MOT guy TBH)

I have mentioned elsewhere that I think high intensity bulbs are going to be a good idea if you adding a layer of opacity to an already 20 year old lighting system, and that might also help with the ministry man. Or you could try giving him orange-tinted glasses to wear...

Someone else over here cobbled together red and orange tint films, I never saw pics so not sure if this would look weird or not.

Whatever, this is on my extensive winter job list!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Big Raff
Advanced

Will hopefully get it all sorted fairly quickly and get some pictures up...

Though until your comment i had almost managed to convince myself that the reverse lights will be slightly red and not pink
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 AM
xdecock
Advanced

Just so that you know, mine as been broken during an intervention, and the importer in belgium has checked, confirmed there is a new batch in production and should be delivered in october, (in my case the vinyl would not have done the trick, as the reflector was broken on top, and wate was coming in) (put some silicone seal in the mean time) but so you know.

Xavier
Old 09-21-2012, 02:56 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Guys I put a set of green LED 382 bulbs in and heres the result. Still a bit dull, I guess thats due to how thick Gus's red vinyl is. But it's the best its been MOT in early Oct.

The bulbs were

http://www.aceparts.com/lights-elect...12v-bulbs.html

Pic Below...

...Ok so after a little test drive, the indicators now flash really fast, I'd read somewhere this may happen due to the LED's being seen as low bulbs due to low draw... is there anything i can do about that?
Attached Images  

Last edited by NateSaJack; 09-21-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Change

Quick Reply: Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial