Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is worthless

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I checked (earlier today) that sky was not falling!

As stated above, this is a great time to buy. I'm saving up to buy my second Porsche in 2009, so while I bemoan my stock market losses, I'm happy that I'll probably have an opportunity to buy my dream car for a great price!

In the end, everything will be OK. If it's not OK, it's not the end!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroman
I dunno. Bearclaw has a bit of a point. There are 965s on ebay that were going for 70-80k down to 57K for the one I just saw. There is a guy near me selling one with 48K miles (92) for 40K. I was going to try to sell mine and make a run at his, but this thread has made me think I won't get much for my car.
I think it's highly situational, depending on the area, the model, the condition of that particular car, etc.. Of course I was oversimplifying in this thread for effect, and eBay is not the best gauge of anything much. But it does seem like, once again, 964's have taken a disproportionate thumping relative to other models. 3.2's seem to be holding up pretty well, and I notice the 993 guys are still fantasy-bidding each other's cars up, even though the true market selling prices would suggest otherwise (outside of C2S/C4S prices, which seem to be holding fairly well). It's true that I don't know exactly what these cars are getting sold for, but if one goes fairly quickly, I think it's a safe bet that the seller got pretty close to the asking price in most cases.

It's not all junk out there on the market, either; I'm seeing cars for sale that I'm certain the owners never intended to ever sell, but cold realities have forced their hand. As was pointed out, if you were a good squirrel and packed away your acorns, this would be an outstanding time to be a buyer. Always opportunity in adversity.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

BC: ...Always opportunity in adversity.

Name:  sigpic41020_7.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  12.2 KB
(hmmm.... wonder if she's under any adversity, lately?...) [dreams the distracted opportunist]
Old 11-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by elbeee964
[drempt the opportunist]: (hmmm.... wonder if she's under any adversity, now...)
You like Tessa, eh? Who wouldn't?
I don't know her personally, but I do know Jessie, a friend of hers.

I was at the car show, talking to a Ferrari salesman, a British fellow. I said, "How's business?" He replied, "Oh, October was a little tough. But no worries, our clients are basically recession-proof."

I think the same thing applies to young ladies like Tessa and Jessie...
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"It will have sentimental value when the Apocalypse comes. "
I picture you in your worthless car
driving in the outback chasing a gas tanker .

http://www.dvdrama.com/upload/Oreo33-mad-max-2-04.jpg

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/mad...palaAttack.jpg
Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

That poor Impala...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

It was just made to look like it was hurt ,
smoke and mirrors , movie magic etc
it was not really hurt .
Old 11-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

I feel better. That '59-'60 vintage was my favorite. Would almost trade the Porsche for one.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I'm a bit worried..am I suppose to know how many cans of beer my car is worth?...

Kinda of depressed if we aren't using the USD any longer to value stuff. So would you value houses in kegs?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Now a house made of kegs , thats my dream .
Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

...with Tessa as personal keg-tapper, is mine.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:00 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Buying any mass produced car as an investment is a fools game; especially if you drive that car. Cars are transportation or hobby. A Porsche can be both and a used Porsche has already lost the majority of it's depreciation. So, you may not be able to sell your car for a profit but you can enjoy it. More than can be said for an Accord or Camry. Be happy and enjoy your car.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:48 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Way Over Exaggerated. For those who have not lived beyond their means, this is a great time. JMHO
EXACTLY. People like pcar with their doomsday forecasts are what's driving this fear based irrational market. Yes my retirement portfolio is down, but I haven't 'lost' a dime because I haven't sold anything. I've lived within my means and now I'm looking for great deals on houses for my college aged kids and another 964. The sooner the fear mongers stop the sooner things will return to some level of normalcy.
As for the original topic of this thread, 964 values, I've been looking for a base car for a track project and I don't see people 'giving them away' yet as I originally hoped.
There has been some discussion of turbos selling for less, but my opinion is that they have been overvalued the last year or so and they're finding their true market value (flame away), just like the housing market.
As for eBay values, please, eBay is a joke for trading autos and contributes nothing to determining true market value. As thousands have said on this board, a car's value is based solely on what someone is willing to pay and sell.
OK, I feel better now.

Originally Posted by pcar964
Ask yourself this question. If you're hungry and can't feed yourself or your family, how many cans of beans is your car worth?

We've seen the tip of the iceberg with this "moderate recession." We're in for a depression like none of us have seen before. Get ready because the pain hasn't yet started. Forget about your portfolio, forget about what your home is worth, forget about your car's depreciation... The fake economy is about to come crashing down, exposing the real economy (or lack thereof), at which point we will actually have to start producing things.

Nobody knows what will happen, myself included - but one thing is for sure, the days of easy money and lots of disposable income are over for most of the population.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:29 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

See? This is more like it and it has alot of time left.. I expect to see this one hit 17K or so which isnt terrible
Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Now I'm a bit worried..am I suppose to know how many cans of beer my car is worth?...

Kinda of depressed if we aren't using the USD any longer to value stuff. So would you value houses in kegs?
Cans of beer? For your car, AT LEAST two kegs!

Quick Reply: My car is worthless