Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS sensors Qu - part numbers? replace in pairs? wheel specific?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ABS sensors Qu - part numbers? replace in pairs? wheel specific?

Hi folks..
Got ABS trouble again, abs activates all the time until about 20 mph, then lights and beeping, abs disabled.

Trying to trouble shoot at first by trying a new front left sensor (last time I had the same symptoms, replacing front right sensor cured it).

I ordered a sensor from eurocarparts a while back, but only just got round to freeing up the well-seized mounting bolt yesterday.

I see that the old sensor is 964 606 404 01, but the one I have been sent is 403 02. This isnt a great surprise as euro are usually pretty good, but they do make mistakes.

I cant find my PET CD, and for some reason cant find the 964 part of the pdf available from Porsche website..

If anyone knows -
1. Did they update the sensor, or is this for a different wheel? It fits, but the wire is mounted at a different angle. It didnt solve the warn lights of course..

2. The supplier states that the sensors need to be replaced in pairs..why?

3. In what way are the sensors wheel specific?

Thanks all..
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another try.. :-)
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Hi folks..
Got ABS trouble again, abs activates all the time until about 20 mph, then lights and beeping, abs disabled.

Trying to trouble shoot at first by trying a new front left sensor (last time I had the same symptoms, replacing front right sensor cured it).

I ordered a sensor from eurocarparts a while back, but only just got round to freeing up the well-seized mounting bolt yesterday.

I see that the old sensor is 964 606 404 01, but the one I have been sent is 403 02. This isnt a great surprise as euro are usually pretty good, but they do make mistakes.

I cant find my PET CD, and for some reason cant find the 964 part of the pdf available from Porsche website..

If anyone knows -
1. Did they update the sensor, or is this for a different wheel? It fits, but the wire is mounted at a different angle. It didnt solve the warn lights of course..

2. The supplier states that the sensors need to be replaced in pairs..why?

3. In what way are the sensors wheel specific?

Thanks all..
According to PET the 02 part number is quoted for MY93 cars. It is only from this year that the sensors are wheel specific: 964 606 404 02 for the right and 964 606 403 02 for the left. PET shows that for cars up to the end of MY92 both front wheels had part number 964 606 404 01.

I solved my ABS problem by taking out each sensor and cleaning it up. I also vacuumed out the holes in the hubs where the sensors fit.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The ABS sensor is not all that sophisticated, it is simply a magnetic sensor that produces voltage. I would simply replace the one that is bad, but as you've done, clean them first.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I wonder why they changed them for '93..on the new sensor the pickup element is flush, on the old sensor it protrudes. Hmm...

Quick Reply: ABS sensors Qu - part numbers? replace in pairs? wheel specific?