Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 engine mounts

Old 10-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vs. good used mounts

Here is a picture from a parts website of a good and failed mount. Does anyone know if there are different levels of failure? Will the rubber part get a gap with use but still be good? I'm thankful for the help, i'm learning about the mounts.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Fred -- that is the very photo from the Pelican site that led me to beleive that my mounts had failed -- mine were both the same as the "failed example" but definately no noticable oil leaks and definately no noise when you shake them indicative of being half full of fluid -- probably completely empty! When the WEVO replavements and the engime mount reinforvement arrive from US I will do the fitment and will then cut open one of the old mounts and see if there is any oil inside.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Jerry - Do you still have the two mounts - I had one leak bad on me when I jacked up the rear by the engine also - Think I should replace - Let me know - you could bring over when you come to see the floor and pedals -
Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Man, if this isn't a season-appropriate thread. (almost Halloween)

File this one under: "Scary 964 paybacks" Think I'll continue steering clear of lifts by engine case.

"It was quiet that night as I jacked up my 964 by its engine casing -- something I'd done many times before.
The sinister stare of a full moon rising already had me on edge.
Yet, somehow, tonight, things were...

...different."
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

As of today, Thanks to Jerry and Garrett for responding with offers to help. Garrett is sending me his old one that is still OK, Jerry offered his and later discovered his left one was leaking too. He will send me the right one if I need it when I change the left one. Thanks guys. If I eventually decide to upgrade to something else (WEVO or RS mounts with a Rennline carrier reinforcement) Scottie has first dibbs on the left one.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
slammed1000
Advanced

i have some solid rs mounts forsale if you want to go that route. $120 plus shipping for the pair.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, this thread prompted me to examine my own mounts. Can you tell if they're good or not while in the car? Mine look like Fred's picture of the failed mount but I guess while under load (of the engine), there should be a gap between the metal body of the mount and the carrier. But is this too much?:

Right

Left

Please ignore the rusty tinware
Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same question. Mine, also in the car, look like yours, but with not nearly as large a gap. The gap on mine is on the order of 3/8" to 1/2". Yours look like an inch, or more.

I thought mine were bad. Now, I'm not so sure.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I had the same question. Mine, also in the car, look like yours, but with not nearly as large a gap. The gap on mine is on the order of 3/8" to 1/2". Yours look like an inch, or more.

I thought mine were bad. Now, I'm not so sure.
I agree that mine look shot . There's no record of them being changed and it could explain why the car feels like it bobs about at the back on uneven surfaces. So far I've not found a supplier for the Wevo mounts over here so I think I'll bite the bullet and get some stock mounts.

I guess changing them just involves supporting the engine with a jack while I swap them out?

p.s. thanks for your other thread that brought this to my attention and made me investigate.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Yes, as I understand it from other threads it's a matter of supporting, but not actually lifting, the engine and then swapping them out.

If you need shipping assistance I'm happy to oblige. I can PM my address and forward along any "used auto parts" you may send my way.

I'm actually considering a set of Wevo black's, myself. I am also considering a set of RS mounts from another Rennlister and am trying to determine what will be best for me.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Dave. After a bit of consideration I'm going get the OEM mounts as I'm not contemplating strengthening the carrier at the moment. I too like the idea of the RS mounts which are actually slightly cheaper than the standard mounts over here but I won't risk fitting those without doing anything to the carrier.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Steve,

I think that you should take a look at the engine carrier either way. Stiffer mounts may exacerbate the situation, but the carrier seems too light a design in any event and I believe that folks here have seen trouble without having changed the mounts.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

I've just examined my mounts and they seem to be shot like boxeys as well. Is no one is stocking the Wevo ones in the UK then? Do we know if they will ship overseas? On strengthening the carrier is there anyone in the UK who can provide the plates to do this similar to the rennline.com ones?

Boxsey - where have you found the cheapest place in the UK to get the mounts from as they seem to be a bit pricey to say the least!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Both Wevo and Rennline will ship, would be great to get both from the same place though.
I am looking to upgrade my rearend as well

Maybe the guys at Rennline could fix this for a small fee ? Must say that they have been very nice to deal with.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

well i'll get some if were up for a uk order... i'd have the wevo ones, as i'm strengthened... steve, if you want to get one of those strengthening plates, you can pop down and we'll fit them all together??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 engine mounts