Sponsored by:

Slight accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM
SimonM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Slight accident

While driving home on Friday on a dual carriageway I noticed a white van parked in the central reservation. As I approached, the van pulled out in front of me apparently without looking and, despite swerving to try to avoid a collision, I hit him and ended up in the trees by the side of the road. No injuries to either party, but the car is a write-off. Garage estimate is £19k to repair, including £11k in parts - does seem a bit steep to me, but there you go.

The pic was taken after the car was recovered - most of the damage occurred when I ran into the trees. Very curious feeling of detachment by the way while hurtling into trees at 60mph - I can remember thinking, "Hmmm - this isn't going to end well!"

Luckily for me there were witnesses who saw the van driver involved in a 'road rage' incident, just prior to the accident, with him chasing another driver across the road armed with a piece of 4x2!. I assume that the red mist descended and he jumped back in his van and drove off without looking.

Anyway, he's admitted responsibility and his insurance will pay out so I'm just waiting for an offer from the insurance co.

Any idea what sort of offer I should expect and ultimately accept? Car was in excellent condition with a full history, although no engine work yet at 156k miles. I'm guessing that it'll cost me around £14k to replace with something equivalent - does his sound reasonable?

It was my daily driver so, depending on the payout, I may well be in the market for a replacement soon!
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Sorry to hear about this and good luck with the insurance. Do you have legal protection with your insurance because they might help fight the best deal out of the other party's insurance? I would definitely not accept their first offer as I suspect they will try it on. Not sure on the vlue but 14k seems about right although the credit crunch may affect prices but then if you're looking to replace like with like that shouldn't matter in theory?
On the feeling of detachment I know what you mean. I was a passenger about 15 years ago in a friends MG midget with no roll bar and we spun hit the grass verge and took off at 60mph spinning laterally in the air. How we didn't tip over I'll never know but I suspect if we had I would not be writing this now!
Steve
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch!
At least your OK.
Good luck with the claim.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sad to hear this. Get on pistonheads and autotrader classifieds and print off select examples of 964s to show the insurance company what the real value is of these cars because they will try to go for a 'book value' which has no relevance and may be something stupid like £8,000.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

The car can be replaced. Im glad to read you are OK. You may be a little sore tomorrow.

Hope everything wroks out well.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon,

Firstly I am very pleased that you are ok and no one was hurt but very sorry to see your lovely car all bashed up!

I just had my C4 totaled by a drunk driver. The insurance co. offered me a pitance. To fight his insurance company will take lots of money and a long, long time.

Therefore I went through my own insurance company and instigated my 'Appraisal Clause'. This clause gives one the right to get an independent appraisal and forces the insurance company to get an independent appraisal as well. The 2 appraisers then negotiate a figure. If they cannot reach agreement a third appraiser acts as 'umpire'. Either way...all parties MUST accept the final decision. Along the way your insurance co. will probably make additional offers.

My insurance co. offered me $13k initially, my appraiser said $27k. Last night they offered me $19, 600...a $6k increase! These insurance company's are criminal the way they operate, make sure you fight them and get what your car is worth!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simon,

Not a nice experience - but at least you're OK. I know the car was a pristine example so I can feel your pain.

Regards

Dave
Old 10-02-2008, 03:55 AM
SimonM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I'm expecting an offer from the insurance co in the next couple of days, so I'll keep you posted.

Simon
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 AM
madmoog
Racer

Simon,

Sorry about your "incident" and glad no-one was hurt, it's amazing how esay something like this could happen to anyone

Depending on the actual severity and extend of damage, might it be worth getting the salvage back and getting an Indipendant to rebuild it, maybe into something special??

moog
Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Looks nasty - but as ever, could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it. As others have said, in terms of insurance settlement the key is to bombard the insurance company with as much information and supporting evidence to prove why your car is worth more than their valuation as you can possibly put together. Send them adverts for similar cars, send then copies of invoices for money spent on your car - prove to them that it is a cherished example.

My previous 964 C2 was stolen in August - the insurers offered the current owner £7,800, and after a bit of hard work putting a case together, as described above, he managed to get £14,500 out of them ! It pays to be thorough here !

If your insurers don't seem to be pulling their weight, you can take them out of the equation. There is a company that I (and several mates) have used to pursue third party claims called Europa Consultants. Speak to Steve Greensmith - he's a thoroughly nice guy and will be able to help you. He will also provide a "like for like" courtesy car which gets charged to the thrid party's insurers. This what they do all day long ..........

http://www.europaconsultants.co.uk/index.php

Good luck !

Jamie
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Simon, just to show it's not all bad news, when my coupe was stolen in November last year, an assessor from Direct Line called up and chatted about 911's with me for 40 minutes or so! At the end of the conversation he offerred me £19k for a car I had paid £10k for - admittedly I had spent a lot more than £9k on engine rebuilds, retrims and resprays, and I would far sooner have had the car back - but I was still extremely impressed at not having to fight for a realistic payout. Hope it goes as well for you.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:54 PM
TEN DOLLAR
Advanced

Simon,

Sorry to hear about the prang. It's a real shame but as others have said, it could have been worse.

Did I see you driving around Fairford Leys the other week? I live in the area too.

Hope you get the insurance settlement you deserve.

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-03-2008, 04:01 AM
SimonM
Intermediate

Hi Paul,

I try to work from home once a week and pick the kids up from school, so almost certainly it was me on Fairford Leys.

Probably be in the Land Rover next time though!

Cheers,
Simon
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
TEN DOLLAR
Advanced

I thought I recognised the car from the picture. You probably haven't seen me as my car is a bit of a garage queen. I did give it a run to Bournemouth last week though.

Hope you get it all sorted soon,

Cheers,

Paul
Old 10-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Fen
Racer

Hi Simon,

Really sorry to hear that, but glad you're OK. 'Twas me you bought the 964 from.

Quick Reply: Slight accident