Tiptronic vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "failure"

Originally Posted by elbeee964
What wasn't in excellent working order for you? [falsely assured in my fantasy world of nothing wrong -- so far.]
Well, we're not sure. It wasn't really so much of a "failure" though.

A small piece of metal with one tapered edge. looks like about half of one valve keeper, became lodged in the intake valve seat in No. 2 . Luckily no damage to the motor. Just can't figure out where it came from. All the keepers were in place and no other parts were missing from their proper place. Best guess is a keeper was accidentally dropped into the intake system during previous work.

I did a rebuild myself about six months back, but I'm sure I didn't drop it. However, when I bought the car, I picked it up from a garage, which I've come to disrespect, that had impounded the car. They had done a rebuild, actually had the motor out twice in succession because they didn't get everythng fixed the first time, and billed the PO over $11,000! I broke a valve within 4 months of purchasing this "completely rebuilt engine" car. Upon inspecting the tolerances during my work, it became evident that the valve guides weren't replaced in the $11,000 job.

Hitting the rev limiter a few times in my first auto-x with the car must have vibrated the piece down into the cylinder. I took the oportunity to replace a number of parts that I hadn't done in my previous work, valve springs, rocker shafts/bolts, etc. Hopefully I'll get more than a few months out of it this time around.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So there are two devices 'tracking' rpms -- tip & rev lim'r -- but the tip's a little slow on the uptake?
Or is that the tip's 'Manual' setting's presumption of "Vee really, really mean *manual* -- jah?*"

[this tip stuff is all such a foreign land for me...]
On the track (computer shift pattern - maximized), when in "Manual" 1st gear will shift @ 6600, 2nd gear will shift @+6800 (after a couple of bounces @ the rev limiter), 3rd will shift @6800 (I don't bounce off of the limiter).....and 4th NEVER upshifts!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Lou, are those cases you just described ("manual"ly), of bouncing off rev limit, even when those rpm points were approached slowly?

I know, I know -- way, way, waaay off topic.
Trust me: I believe -- Tips are good.
I love how you never hear of anyone complaining about their lack of robustness or how they lead to blown engines. Very, very Porsche-like!

(It's just that this is a side of 'em I'd never heard of before. Fascinating!)

I could completely understand if it's a case of the tranny 'failing' to be as fast as the need -- then having its controls circuitry 'catching up' to the current state of shift-necessity (rev limit), then reacting to alleviate.
(And if rev limit was approached slowly enough, the shift would occur before rev limit.)

Even so, it's interesting that hitting rev limiter would be 'built in', however briefly, into a performance 'optimized' system. It's not like getting into ABS, where reaching that brake-state is (for most conditions) the best braking solution. (ie, bouncing off the rev limiter for a 1-count before each upshift ain't gonna lend you to best performance eeked out of the package.)
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lou, are those cases you just described ("manual"ly), of bouncing off rev limit, even when those rpm points were approached slowly?

Even so, it's interesting that hitting rev limiter would be 'built in', however briefly, into a performance 'optimized' system.
The TIP in "manual" waits for you to initiate the upshift, however, it will not allow the engine to overrev, so when I'm DEing (beating the **** out of it), I approach redline quickly - foot THRU the floorboard, if I don't upshift - it bounces, then takes over for my lack of sense of grabbing the next gear.

Generally, when I DE, I just put it in "D" and let it do the thinking, 'cause it will shift at the optimum RPM (which is NOT redline).
Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks, Lou!

So, Porsche left nothing "still on the table" (or, 'in reserve') against you Tip guys.
In pressure situations, you Tip volk can ring just as much out of the engine as a manual. (Or, beat the **** out of it, too. )

Really fascinating & something I never would've guessed. (But should have, knowing Porsche!)
Old 08-18-2015, 07:54 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear driving a tip in 3 instead of D makes it sportier. Is it true?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
yes. It starts off in 1st gear. On the highway use D.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Alivreal
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic vs. Manual

I have installed F1 paddle shifts on mine. The gear change is most likely quicker and from stand still it is quicker than most manual cars off the line.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:09 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any experience with a tip. So it's great to hear comment from those who have. It works and sounds much better than I thought.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mmmm
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2015, 08:53 AM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David A
That is true. Also you don't have to start in 2nd gear. You can move down to 1st off the line and shift as you like. I've had both manual and tip 911's and my preference is, get the best car you can for the money. But that's only after having had both. I DO think if it's your first 911 you should get the manual. I think it makes you a better driver. At this point though I enjoy the ease of driving in traffic and having the option to shift when the time is right.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Viking911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have both and love them, if I could only have one, it would be Tip. It does shift fractionally slower and weights in a little more, but the comfort and ease of puddling round when I like to puddle easily make it up. Have done loads road tours with manual C2/4 guys and have never been dropped. Same goes for track use, so many other factors plays in than shifting a few 1/10 quicker.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Seems to me that what you use the 964 for has an impact on whether or not a tip is preferred.

Daily rush hour driving - Tip OK.

Weekend driver - Tip not so preferred.

I am old school, my 964 is only driven on the weekend (has collector's plate and insurance that prohibit driving for work) ....... no Tip for me and would never want one.

I absolutely enjoy the visceral feeling of rowing thru the gears. Both of my summer cars are manuals and I would not ever consider an automatic.

Now all my daily drivers are automatics and I would never consider buying a manual for my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs. Manual