Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Welded Rims (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/432725-welded-rims.html)

Polman 05-26-2008 05:30 PM

Welded Rims

I bought some Turbo II Rims to fit my Turbo bodied 964. I didn’t realize that 11” was 1” too wide at the back. I have tried too sell them on local sites in Sweden, but I only get lousy bids. Now’s the question….do you think a professional shop can cut them 1” and weld them…Never mind the costs….Is it safe?

demonfish 05-26-2008 06:23 PM

I love your sense of humour...

ThomasT 05-26-2008 07:12 PM

Give www.falgfixarna.se a call.

pu911rsr 05-27-2008 01:16 AM

People have raced on welded rims for years.
Phil

demonfish 05-27-2008 04:08 AM

really??

i find that bizarre... in that case, ignore my first post...

Computamedic 05-27-2008 04:32 AM

I know welded STEEL rims have been used in racing for many years - but welded ALLOYS?? Cast alloy rims are more like Aero chocolate inside - full of bubbles - and the thought of cutting a good wheel and welding it back together just fills me with fear I'm afraid. Quite apart from the potential danger, the value of the wheels is going to be close to nothing - surely it would be better to sell them as they are and buy a set of wheels that really fit.

I'm with Matt all the way on this one!!!

Dave

cobalt 05-27-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Computamedic (Post 5449054)
I know welded STEEL rims have been used in racing for many years - but welded ALLOYS?? Cast alloy rims are more like Aero chocolate inside - full of bubbles - and the thought of cutting a good wheel and welding it back together just fills me with fear I'm afraid. Quite apart from the potential danger, the value of the wheels is going to be close to nothing - surely it would be better to sell them as they are and buy a set of wheels that really fit.

I'm with Matt all the way on this one!!!

Dave

The turbo technology wheels are pressure cast and should not be full of bubbles. Grain structure and ultimate tensile is nothing compared to forged wheels but porosity is not an issue. If done properly it is no less safe than the design of the wheel itself. These wheels especially the 993TT wheels have been known to fail under track like conditions even without welding and have a high tendency to crack.

For years they cut and welded the fuchs alloys to widen them with no issues. Although i would think the biggest issue with welding a wheel like this is keeping it round during the welding without it warping. Finding a qualified welder would not be easy and If I were having it done i would have the welds X-rayed for safety. In the end it might be cheaper to sell these for a small % of their value and starting over.

Jan-Terje 05-27-2008 06:13 PM

To me it looks like the offset (ET) is your problem. You wont be able to remedy that by taking off 1" of the width. Or am I missing something ?

Cupcar#12 05-28-2008 01:57 AM

change out your rear control arms to the Narrow body ones - that will alllow the use of wider wheels on the rear.

aeroman 05-28-2008 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12 (Post 5452626)
change out your rear control arms to the Narrow body ones - that will alllow the use of wider wheels on the rear.

+1