Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag + Seatbelt warning lights on, safe to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag + Seatbelt warning lights on, safe to drive?

Hi Guys,
I drove over a rough patch of road today (chipseal) and my airbag and seatbelt warning lights came on. From looking around here it could be a dirty sensor connector or a cold solder joint in the clock, or it could be something really wrong with the airbag system. Normally parking the car for a few days until I can have something like this checked out wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm registered for a DE Saturday and don't think I'll be able to get it looked at tomorrow. So, I'm wondering if it's safe and O.K. to track the car in this condition?

I don't plan on using the airbags this weekend, but I don't know if it will pass tech with these warning lights on, and even if it does I don't want my instructor(s) (or myself) to feel uncomfortable about the safety of the car.

What would you guys do? Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I had this problem last week. I just disconnected the battery, waited for 10 minutes, and then disconnected the sensors. Blew them out with compressed air, and reattached them back on. You need the scantool, or the hammer to reset them once they come on however. Where are you going to be racing this weekend?
Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 AM
james944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sundog,
I'm supposed to be up at Firebird, West track, with the AZ PCA. It should be fun since I've never been out there before. Usually I run with the Southern Arizona Region but I'm a real beginner at the track: really slow, still learning the line, and having a great time learning how to drive. Do you run with the Golden Gate Region?

I think you're right about clean the contacts first, but I don't have ready access to a scantool or hammer, so I'm affraid the lights will still be on this weekend...

Quick Reply: Airbag + Seatbelt warning lights on, safe to drive?