Sponsored by:

erratic temp sensor... about gave me a heart attack

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default erratic temp sensor... about gave me a heart attack

I was coming into the office today a little late so I decided to take the interstate as I was after rush hour. I drove pretty swiftly, but nothing crazy and when I exited the interstate after about 15 miles of Interstate driving, I rolled to a stop at a light and about had a heart attack when I looked down and noticed my temp gauge pointing right up at the red! Oh geeesh! I was staring at it and deciding that I should not cut the engine but should drive around the block a few times to help it cool. The ambient temp today is 50 degrees F (10 C). As I was staring at the gauge it snapped back to about 7 or 8 O'Clock where it typically sits when warm. When I got to the office I felt the front right fender and it was not warm. The rear near the oil tank was warm to the touch, but not hot.

So what's going on? My assumption is that if the car was really 300+ degrees then the rear panel near the oil tank would have been damn hot, not just kinda warm. So I think I can assume that the car was not crazy hot, it was a false reading. This right?

So... Temp sender bad? Gauge issues?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

As usual, I turn to Jason's pics and answers.
First hit the gauge's pins w/ eraser, then go after sender.
Looks to be a single pole sensor.
Remove either the left or right side engine plastic-junk assys (vent ducts, or air filter box) to gain easier(?) access to that area, slip off hot lead, clean up both lead and plug w/ scotchbrite, reassemble with dielectric grease (Autozone, etc.) and... wait for any re-occurrence.

If it were just outright reading a funny temperature, you could measure resistance, and compare that cold reading against what gray hairs, here, replied it should be.

But intermittent means fix the possible and wait for re-occurrence.

(besides -- such things only happen to coral cars)

-Lonnie

Edit -
And confirming that position (and 'the way in') is this oldie-but-goldie from Garrett (another where-angels-fear-to-tread engine/C4 Guy)

Last edited by elbeee964; 04-15-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JD,
That has happened to me two years ago and it turned out to be the sender. It can be replaced easily without removing the engine. Make sure you replace the the gasket as well if you replace the sender. Andy
Old 04-15-2008, 01:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If its at the top check to be sure the connector is not lose. If its unconnected it will peg in the red.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Great info guys. Lonnie, thanks for the fantastic search skills. I was unable to find those links when I searched. Given what Jim says about it pegging high if unhooked, I think I will go the route of disconnecting the wires, cleaning the leads, etc. If that does not work I will take Andy's recommendation and replace the sender AND the gasket.

As always guys, thanks so much.

Oh, and Lonnie, Coral Red does cost more to maintain, but looking this good is never easy... I just make it seem that way.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
Great info guys. Lonnie, thanks for the fantastic search skills. I was unable to find those links when I searched. Given what Jim says about it pegging high if unhooked, I think I will go the route of disconnecting the wires, cleaning the leads, etc. If that does not work I will take Andy's recommendation and replace the sender AND the gasket.

As always guys, thanks so much.

Oh, and Lonnie, Coral Red does cost more to maintain, but looking this good is never easy... I just make it seem that way.
I heading up to Gwynns Island on the bay thursday to open my summer cottage up so you owe me good weather for my advice
Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jimq
...so you owe me good weather...
Done.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I heading up to Gwynns Island on the bay thursday to open my summer cottage up so you owe me good weather for my advice
I'm jealous. But good weather you will get.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
I'm jealous. But good weather you will get.
I need to have a get together at the island for the guys in the Richmond/Va beach area on one of my trips up this summer. We can have a fish/crab/oyster cook out on the water. Its only 80 miles east of Richmond where I am from.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I need to have a get together at the island for the guys in the Richmond/Va beach area on one of my trips up this summer. We can have a fish/crab/oyster cook out on the water. Its only 80 miles east of Richmond where I am from.
That would be fantastic! My wife is a native Virginian and she talks about needing to show me more of "Mr. Jefferson's Commonwealth" but I have not been to Mathews County. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Smile

sounds like a suaree to crash... I'll bring pretzels. (zinc ointment for the nose... flip-flops...)

why, in a couple week's time I'll be travelin' up the road to West Verginnie to transact with a fellow Renn-visitor for wheels. Drive right thru the area... Small world.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
sounds like a suaree to crash... I'll bring pretzels. (zinc ointment for the nose... flip-flops...)

My sister inlaw is from the pig capitol called Suffolk man you got some smelly areas around there !
Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

thanks, jim.

Quick Reply: erratic temp sensor... about gave me a heart attack