Sponsored by:

valve cover question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM
drisin80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover question

hi--decided to do the whole replace plugs, wires , coils, caps, rotors,rebuild distributor, adjust valves thing before bringing out this spring, and have the cat and secondary muffler off, as well as the heat shielding and tin. I haven't removed the valve covers yet, and there appears to be a very small amount of oil around the lowers, but nothing around the uppers. i do notice what appears to be a lot of the paint (?) coming off of the lowers. after reading around on this forum, i assume i have the magnesium covers, and there could be some damage to them. i see where some people have media blasted, and powder coated these, others replaced with aftermarket covers. what is the best thinking on this---- and where is the best place to get them. not afraid of spending the money. i see where someone posted that the plug wire clips do not go back on the hargett precision ones. do the ones from imagine auto have holes for them. also what about the rennspeed ones i see on ebay---too good to be true??? anyones thoughts or opiniions appreciated. thanks---tom
Old 04-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the IA lower covers - not a leak since being installed 2 years ago.

Marc
Old 04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Oracle
Pro

Marc,
What's the IA covers? Is that a special part from Porsche or aftermarket.
My car is weeping from the lowers and I'm pretty sure they're stock

thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

IA = Imagine Auto

Marc
p..s aren't they pretty?
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Oracle
Pro

me likey!! You just found a way to make me spend more money
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Imagine and Hargett are the same covers unless Imagine has started producing his own in the last couple of months. I went through this same thing while doing my valve adjust in Feb. If you have a 1990, you have magnesium valve covers and they corrode on the outside and in. I decided to replace all four of mine because of this. I wanted the Hargett ones but they were two pricey for me for a set of four and I ended up getting a set of later model aluminum ones from LA Dismantlers. Since, I have seen some that have been power coated but I'm not sure if it is the outside and inside or outside only. My concern was not the flaking on the outside but the inside. If I had the cash, I would get the Hargett ones and not worry about the wire clips. After so many years, most of these cars have broken clips anyway and it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Ritchie.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by yellowducman
Imagine and Hargett are the same covers unless Imagine has started producing his own in the last couple of months.
Ritchie,

This was discussed recently and it was determined that IA and Hargett are not the same (uhh...I think you said that yourself ).

Marc
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are the Hargett's. The only issue with IA and Hargett is there are no means to fasten your wire clips to the cover.
I had to modified mine to get the clips on. Otherwise I hear they are both great at not leaking, and look very nice!
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2008, 11:08 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve covers

no disrespect intended. the clips are inportant. you need to supports the wire . as far as vlave covers. the new factory ones are beefier and nice compared to the old mag style witch i had. about three times the weight too.

the after market ones are alright, the problem that i have is that the end wire hole is incomplete to hold the sparkplug boot secure and also a little to big on the other holes to from what a buy of these valve covers told me. the wires need to fit snog in the valve cover not only to hold the plug wire securely to plug but to ALSO TO CREATE AN AIR TIGHT SEAL SO ALL THE COOLING AIR PASSES THRU TOP OF ENGINE AND THRU THE BOTTOM , and not leak out of engine.

again not trying to start nothing but my lawn mower here. the lowers are 297 each, just ordered them.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Ritchie,

This was discussed recently and it was determined that IA and Hargett are not the same (uhh...I think you said that yourself ).

Marc
I did post that in a earlier post that IA had informed me that there machine was down, but after posting that I contacted Hargett, they informed me that they had made the covers for IA until recently. I was under the impression that IA hadn't made any of there own at that time and was trying to gear up to produce them themselves. I could be wrong on that assumption though.

Quick Reply: valve cover question