Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering pump rebuild DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 PM
neffets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just followed your instructions, worked like a charm, hardest part was getting the snap ring off.
Did it in 1h45min, pump out, changed all the gaskets, pump back in, that is with the engine in the car

I also did my steering rack, but my steering wheel is still much harder to turn than a C2? This is when standing still. I thought i had a worn pump seal or rack, but now all is rebuilt.
Using CHF 11S, would a different viscosity ATF? be better?
The one i used have a cst of 21.9, i see Dexron 3 is 44cst
Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 PM
Zellmerj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944srat
Hey Travis,
Have you ever seen the problem shown below? Each time I replace the face seal it gets sucked into the vane energizing holes? What causes this?

Thanks!

Resurrecting an old thread.. I had this exact same problem today. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Old 03-15-2018, 12:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

This was mine. I struggle to see how it can be sucked into the hole. Unfortunately I’ve sold my spare kit so I can’t check the parts to see if it’s possible to install in more than one way
Old 04-22-2018, 12:42 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM

This was mine. I struggle to see how it can be sucked into the hole. Unfortunately I’ve sold my spare kit so I can’t check the parts to see if it’s possible to install in more than one way
I am having the exact same issue with my 944. I reseated it twice (since I had no power steering) with it just being squished over the holes a little bit, but the third time it was completely sucked into the holes. I bought a new kit for a new gasket, but I don't want to ruin that one too. It looks fine when installed, then looks wadded up when pulled back out.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:28 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Just to update, I talked to Travis and he thinks it was the feed line collapsing and the increased pressure is sucking the seal into the holes. I replaced my feed line after reseating it the second time, but still no luck. Looking at the reservoir, I get no fluid flow with the car on. Best guess is after getting sucked into the hole multiple times, it weakened/ruined the seal. So hopefully with a new feed line and new seal, it will work.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The screen in the bottom of the reservoir can get plugged. I replaced my reservoir and normal flow returned. My pump was making some noise when cold, then I discovered the issue with the reservoir (screen) .

YMMV
Old 04-24-2018, 10:55 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Thanks for the write up and pics. Great info.

Whish I would have known this when I had my engine out for reseal.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:02 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a leaky pump for a while now. I recently replaced all the tubes which seemed to help for a while, but now it's leaking worse than before. Say, it's almost using more power stearing fluid than fuel! So today I decided to have a go at rebuilding the pump.
However, as can be seen from the photo, I have encountered some difficulties. The lower left nut has rounded and the lower right bolt appears to have broken off. So i don't know how I'm going to get though this. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

There are a few approaches for a rounded nut- chisel, cutting wheel, etc. There are specialty sockets for this that may be worth trying too. The broken stud will need drilled out (use a press or a guide to keep the bit from wandering into the soft aluminum threads). A left-handed drill bit, or an ez-out might be enough to remove the stud. It shouldn't have any torque on it or corrosion.

Related plug- I have my rebuilt pump in the classifieds. $150 including all of the mounts, brackets, pulleys, and related ancillaries- https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1110197 I didn't have any issues with the rubber seal mentioned above and I ran it for a few thousand miles.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 PM
aldo964
Instructor

In the past i’ve had some success getting rounded nuts off, so even though there’s not much room to work in i’m sure that one way or another it will come off.
What’s worrying me is that I don’t see how the broken bolt can be extracted with the pump on the car, and it appears that neither will it be possible to remove the pump with the bolt in place. Catch 22🙈
Thanks Nick I may take you up on that pump you’re selling. I’ve got a dude coming tomorrow to attempt to sort out the mess i’ve made, so i’ll let you know within the next few days.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Update: In the end I was able to get the broken bolt out from the back (actually front of car) using a ratchet. Theoretically there isn't enough space to take it out the back, but as it loosens the pump moves forward (that is towards the rear of the car)
Whereas, after trying many different methods, I was fortunately able to get the rounded nut off with a 1/2 socket.

My seals all appeared to be ok (but I replaced them anyway) so I guess my pump was leaking because the broken bolt wasn't keeping it all tight enough.

I dropped the rear nuts and a washer down into the belt area, after a couple of hours with a mirror and magnet I gave up trying to retrieve them, I guess they'll find their own way out.

The only thing of particular interest was that the shaft bore had 2 worn grooves on it. Has anybody elses had this? Should I source a spare pump for when this one will eventually wear out.

Cranked her up and all is well, a satisfying little project and another leak free 964

Quick Reply: Power Steering pump rebuild DIY