New guy, 964 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:19 AM
averyrm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, 964 questions

Hello all, great forum you have here.

I've been lurking for about 4 or 5 months now trying to read as much as I can. I have a few questions I've searched on but thought I might get some updated info (besides, can't say hello without questions, right?)

My plan is to get a 1991+ 964 C4 and use it as a daily driver. I'm hoping to get one from a rennlister so I know it was in good hands prior to me. The purchase is a few years in the future but I'm trying to research as much as possible.

From what I read it seems that reliability shouldn't be an issue as long as maintenance is kept up with.

My main question is, doing all the work myself, what is a reasonable yearly budget for maintenance in both price and time spent on the work? (Obviously if something goes really wrong and it needs a new top end or I head down the "slippery slope" the figures will end up out the window)

Thanks for the answers, and thanks for the great community!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't do my own work, but I hear that a resonable budget is $2k per year. In my experience with 964s and 993, that seems right. The way it has worked for me is that I spend a few grand up front to get the car sorted, then it doesn't need much else other than maintenance. The only exception is my recent 964 acquisition. Since I bought it last month, it has only needed a power window switch ($35).

Good luck and sweet 964 dreams!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big maintenance hit is a 15k service with valve adjustment. They run anywhere from $1,000 - $2,000 and involve a check of every system and swapping out fluids and filters. Remember, these cars require 10 quarts for an oil change so if your shop does one with Mobil 1, you'd be looking at $200 in parts and labor.

Being able to do it yourself will certainly help ease the cost of ownership.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 AM
averyrm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help gents, 2k/yr is about what I'd expected. Now to convince the wife....

Anyone know a good shop in the columbus ohio area? I searched but too many people with columbus in thier location

Quick Reply: New guy, 964 questions