Sponsored by:

964 Exhaust: less is more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 964 Exhaust: less is more.

I had been running primary and cat bypasses and ruminating about the elimination of the deadweight and restriction of the secondary, but as a future project with other things (big yellows etc.) on the go.

Then providence struck. The other day the secondary developed a pretty loud internal rattle that meant dealing right away with the nasty thing. Off it came and I had G pipe to put in its place. Have you heard a the 964 with cat, primary and secondary bypasses?? WHAT?! I'M SORRY YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

I like it loud but you could never drive on the street- not around Atl anyway.
Its full on Cup car loud.

So I went up to Kinetic and they fabbed a baffle inside the cat bypass (because unlike the G-pipe its nice and straight easily accessed). One baffle is nice but its still way too loud. The addition of second was hard to distinguish from just one- too loud. Hmm.

I did NOT want to put the secondary back. Unlike Oprah, having shed the 25 lbs or so, I did not want to put it back on. So I suggested putting the cat back on to see if that would tame the volume and voila!- loud, but not too loud IMO. Right on the limit. Nice and deep that at low revs is streetable. If you planned to rev it, you'd better look around first. I tried it on a hwy off ramp. Awesome.

This is not for everyone to be sure- but I don't drive much on the street and when I do I putter around. Its fine on the hwy and for track I'm just going to put the straight pipe (with baffles) back on.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to post a sound clip if you can....I guess that it was louder than the primary and secondary being replaced..
Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I will post one next week from RA. But yes, its louder than primary and cat bypasses with Secondary still in place. Which makes me wonder if it is also is less restrictive.

The car gets dyno'd on Monday in this iteration (with MAF as well) but I'm not planning on swapping exhaust parts in and out so no meaningful conclusions can be drawn.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn Ritter...that car is looking good!

And much sportier than when I almost bought it! How is it working out for ya?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default -- HUH?

Originally Posted by Ritter
Have you heard a the 964 with cat, primary and secondary bypasses?? WHAT?! I'M SORRY YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!
lol (Thanks for the pre-weekend gut-bust, David! too funny. )
Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to see a dyno comparison with the stock cat back on vs off. Loudness aside, I'd be curious which of the three components if returned to stock would reduce power the most: stock cat, primary muffler, or secondary muffler. And does the car truly make the most power with all three bypassed.

I also own both the primary bypass and secondary bypass, but have not put the primary bypass on it for the same reasons you discovered (too loud). I'm currently running a cat bypass and secondary bypass.

I have a spare primary muffler and I plan to take it at some point to a muffler shop and have them modify it to be more free flow. Or just cut the inlet and outlet pipes off and weld them to a new freeflow muffler in between so it fits in the same space as the oem primary. The goal being more power while hopefully keeping the decibel level remotely livable.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC993C2S
Damn Ritter...that car is looking good!

And much sportier than when I almost bought it! How is it working out for ya?
Which car you talking about? The silver one in the avatar is now in Nassau.
The grey one here is the one I'm referring to- which did you nearly buy?
Nothing wrong with the car, ahem, in yer avatar!
Attached Images   
Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm talking about the silver one. I looked at it about 3 weeks before you bought it.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When i first got my car, i allso tried it with a straight threw pipe. LOUD is an understatement.
Had to shout at sumone stood right nxt to me for them to hear me.
Had to put the last box back in.

Did sound good thou
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been running a cat bypyass, primary bypass and the stock secondary. I recently put the cat back on and was mildly disappointed as the rumble went away. It was a great onramp thrill, especially while going between concrete walls/barriers.. I was hoofing it just to hear the sound.. awesome.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Hey Dave, did you end up buying Tom's car?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I will post one next week from RA.
I hope it snows! Just kidding. Looking forward to the video. A few laps in succession would be nice.
I run a stock cat and no muffler on the SC. It sounds awesome but probably not ideal for power. I'd always heard that the cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system. I think Bill Verburg posted the flow rates for the 964 exhaust...it's around here somewhere.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Tom's car inspired me big time on the grey car and I told him so and sent some photos. It was close but not the car in some meaningful ways.

As for the silver car- I got what I think was a great deal on it and it seems to run as well as the grey car (with less miles and top-end job). Its also dry as a bone since I bought it.

And as for snow I'm taking chains just in case ; ) No in car cam as yet so it'll be wife-shot exterior shots of me being lapped no doubt.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Ritter - what wheels are those? D#mn! My new favorites...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:08 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Its full on Cup car loud.
And that is how we like 'em to sound! Putting any muffler back on and it just sounds like neutered moose.

Quick Reply: 964 Exhaust: less is more.