Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks to all for your advice!!!

OK OK I know, you are from 1st world countries, I am only a newbie from the end of the world.
But I would like to point a few things

1) The PO used Kumho tyres all around and he did a lot of high speed travel in Patagonia`s empty roads (very long straights) at 120 miles/hour average speed with no problems at all.

2)the wheel leak has been solved, I will start using even pressure in all 4 corners ASAP.

3)When I bought the 2 new rear Yoko's Advan I did the 4 wheels alignment at the tyre shop and I suspect part of the trouble lies there

4) I haven`t had the chance to really push the car because first I had to change shocks and rear tyres, then the rear rotors,then the starter and finally the christmas tree appeared (this problem came back on the end of the year and now the car has been for 3 days at the official dealer, they haven`t found the source of the tree yet - same as had happened to my mechanic)

5) As soon as this problem is solved I will buy the new front tyres

6)People in this country usually drive fast, even in old worn out family cars with no new tyres or such,no wonder we have one of the highest road accident rates (in 2007 8000 road deaths for a population of 38 millions)
Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually had Kumho Ecsta 712's on my car when it had 17's and those tyres were much better than Conti's in both dry and we grip. They were Y rated so more than enough for the job. Having listened to the scaremongering (and I really don't believe in scrimping on tyres myself) I have been using SO2's for the last 2 sets - and they are slightly better thand the Kumhos....maybe 5% better in dry and wet...and although they are 40% more expensive - I have gone for those since. It is a personal choice, but as I tend to drive on the continent occasionally, and at very high speeds I *never* buy cheap tyres....but if I never exceeded 100mph and so on, then I know from expereince that some of the cheaper tyres are perfectly adequate - even for our 'supercars'....
Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry964
Thanks to all for your advice!!!

1) The PO used Kumho tyres all around and he did a lot of high speed travel in Patagonia`s empty roads (very long straights) at 120 miles/hour average speed with no problems at all.
The point I and others were making was about the mismatching of tyre brands (and therefore tread pattern and rubber consistency) on the front and rear axles. Not that Kumhos should not be used.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve, as I said I am changing the front tyres ASAP.
After I bought my 964 my pockets were empty and then I had to spend around U$S 4000 in repairs that couldn`t wait so my pockets are more empty now.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove with 3.0 bar in the rear and 2.5 bar in the front, when I bought the car. That was what the plate in the trunc said. BIG mistake, as this only applies to 16" and not 17", which should have 2.5 bar all around. I thought I had a flat tyre when driving at high speed, as the back end started rolling from side to side, very scary. With the same pressure I can max out with no stability issues. (German autobahn...)
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Michael
that`s on the to do list: lower rear tyres pressure to even 36 lbs
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM
IanR
Racer

As others have said, a 964 is very sensitive to tyres and pressures. Start by having the same make/model of tyre all round and at the right pressure (36 psi).
Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

Originally Posted by LouZ
Wow, that explains "1776"
You've got me there. I gave up history at O level, before we got onto modern history.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 AM
jaywood
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Henry964
6)People in this country usually drive fast, even in old worn out family cars with no new tyres or such,no wonder we have one of the highest road accident rates (in 2007 8000 road deaths for a population of 38 millions)
amen to that... i just got back from driving around colombia.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 AM
jneteler
Racer

Stewart,

That would be the year the western Atlantic colonies informed King George of their intent to secede from the British Empire.

(Apologies if the King is wrong, but overseas monarchs weren't a large part of our history.)

Regards,

JNeteler
Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

Originally Posted by jneteler

Stewart,

That would be the year the western Atlantic colonies informed King George of their intent to secede from the British Empire.

(Apologies if the King is wrong, but overseas monarchs weren't a large part of our history.)

Regards,

JNeteler

Thanks JN. As a taxi driver said to me in Wyoming, last year, "Welcome back to the colonies" I gave him the imortal quote, corrupted from The Great Escape, "I hope you're looking after them."

Don't get me wrong, I love North America - I've beeen to the States 5 times and Canada (Alberta/BC) 5 times, in the last 6 years for holidays. Just trying to inject a bit of banter which I guess is the British sense of humour.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
jneteler
Racer

Just trying to do the same. I have always appreciated the British sense of humor...

Regards,

JNeteler

Quick Reply: tail happy??