Newbie Question About SearcH Function

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:32 AM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Question About SearcH Function

Forum Newbie Question.

I need some help using the forum search function.

How does one set up a search for a phrase match?

For example, I tried searching for "pink lense" in order to find some threads that talk about rear lense refurbishment or replacement. The search matched the individual words but not the entire phrase.

The result is 16 pages of threads that range in topics from Pink Barbies to every post with that ever mentions clear lenses.

The FAQ was silent on this subject. (At least I couldn't find it.)

Any help from an experienced user would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just a pointer to the pertinent help section.

Thanks in advance,

JNeteler
Old 12-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I've had the most success when searching "in titles" only. This is a button underneath the where you type in your query and it eliminates the 16 pages you end up with otherwise. And as for searching on the tail lights, try "faded tail lights".
Old 12-16-2007, 10:04 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help on the search question, but HERE is a link for a lens recondition I did.

Bill
Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use titles only but that has its own problems
I always find searching on a car forum next to impossible. For instance I would not have found a thread about pink lenses I would never use the word pink I would have searhced for faded or dull and came up emtpy. Then 30 people tell you off for not using search.
The problem is worse on this forum because a lot of the titles are started by Americans who also use a different word sometimes.

So to all the internet police please be patient You will never find me rebuking somebody for not searching.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM
jneteler
Racer

wysebert,

Thanks, it was your thread that was actual target of my search. Now, for the not so simple matter of trying to find the same of equivalent over here.

I spent 4 years at CMU in the last century. One of the best memories is driving from the airport back into town one snowy night. The highway winds its way through the dreary countryside and then as you exit the tunnel a magnificent view of the point and the city skyline. Pittsburgh is very much under rated.

Thanks again for responding.

JNeteler
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 PM
jneteler
Racer

Chris M. & Pesty,

Thanks, I'll try the title search next time.

I am aware of the various versions of English being an expat over here. Ever try to play Scrabble with an American, Aussie, and a Brit??? The local Asian versions of English are a completely different animal yet again.

Regards,

J.G. Neteler

Quick Reply: Newbie Question About SearcH Function