Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the email I sent:

Thank you very much for making the effort to send these pics. I'm sure you love your car. Normally I would not bring up price at this stage (without having seen the car in person or getting an inspection) but since significant travel time and coordination is involved I wish to be up front with you and let you know what I'm thinking.

I'm afraid my offer would fall short of your asking price, and that is based on several factors:

1) Overall condition of the car. I know I haven't even seen it in person yet, but I saw several details in the pics you sent that would make me categorize the car as "good" but not "excellent." The cracked tail light and possible scratch or gouge below it are two issues. I see a few other details too here and there.

2) True Market Value appraisals. Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds places cars similar to yours at significantly lower average price.
a) http://tinyurl.com/2tj6q3
b) http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/por...tion=vdpresult

3) Average asking price of similar cars on the market:
a) http://tinyurl.com/2en6au
b) http://tinyurl.com/2bvxav
c) http://tinyurl.com/yrny5s
d) http://tinyurl.com/2e7mqe

I know Porsche owners can get very attached to their cars so I hope to not offend you. If you feel that we can begin negotiating at a price more similar to the other 964 model cars on the market, and work up or down contingent upon pre-purchase inspection and personal test drive, then I will proceed further and set up a PPI. If that price point falls much too short of your expectations, then I will apologize and thank you for taking time to send your emails. I do not wish to waste your time.

Sincerely,
Nat
Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done. I'd be really curious to see how he responds.

Always wondered - though unlikely in this case - what if the owner was on here, and watching all this.
Guess he might learn something.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Nicely done. I'd be really curious to see how he responds.

Always wondered - though unlikely in this case - what if the owner was on here, and watching all this.
Guess he might learn something.
He was amenable to the KBB average of $20,275 for a "good" car but rates his car between good and excellent.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Nat
but rates his car between good and excellent.
???
Wow.
Is there an automotive version of "beer goggles"?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I took some photos of a 500 mile 964 that came out of a collection. In the metal, it looked perfect. In the photos, colours seemed off and mismatched, trim bits didn't look perfect, the underside of the car looked surprisingly filthy. Not taking anything away from all of what's been said here, but digital photos are very unforgiving. It's possible the car looks better in real life, hence the owner's assessment.

That said, if I were trying to sell my car, it'd be a heck of a lot cleaner than that one...
Old 12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
???
Wow.
Is there an automotive version of "beer goggles"?
Haw haw!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1990-964
a '93 or '94 that has all of the factory updates.
What updates did Porsche do in '93?

Also, on the center console there are two dials. One looks like it might control the rear wing. The other has a diagram of the drivetrain. What do these dials do?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Nat, did you contact bongobradley? Is the car still available? If so, it would likely be worth a look...........I think the extra dial in the center console is for the AWD controller. The photos you've shared looks to be a car that is VERY tired,and a LONG way (read$$$$$$$) from being nice (read "sugar coat the turd"). It's only a matter of time before most cosmetic corrections will begin to resurface. Regardless of whethe or not the car is "just" a daily driver - it should be kept up better than this example is. The seller may feel the car condition is excellent.......it may be the beer goggles or he just doesn't know better. I didn't notice if you mentioned whether all books and records were available? Very important to establish the maintenance/repair history. PPI by a qualified technician is critical. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitch9000
Nat, did you contact bongobradley? Is the car still available? If so, it would likely be worth a look...........I think the extra dial in the center console is for the AWD controller. The photos you've shared looks to be a car that is VERY tired,and a LONG way (read$$$$$$$) from being nice (read "sugar coat the turd"). It's only a matter of time before most cosmetic corrections will begin to resurface. Regardless of whethe or not the car is "just" a daily driver - it should be kept up better than this example is. The seller may feel the car condition is excellent.......it may be the beer goggles or he just doesn't know better. I didn't notice if you mentioned whether all books and records were available? Very important to establish the maintenance/repair history. PPI by a qualified technician is critical. Good luck!
Bongo's car is gorgeous, but I did not contact him since it is a C2 and I am most definitely looking for a C4 (I live in snow country). If anyone knows of any nice C4's...

What does the AWD controller do?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:23 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
What does the AWD controller do?
It's to lock the differential.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"What does the AWD controller do?"
If you are stuck in snow/ice or mud/sand and can't get the car to move forward , you reach down and turn the switch . All four wheels go to full drive to get the car unstuck , then when your rolling along you can reach down and switch it back to normal . If you don't reach down and switch it off , at some point the car will switch it off for you .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
"What does the AWD controller do?"
If you are stuck in snow/ice or mud/sand and can't get the car to move forward , you reach down and turn the switch . All four wheels go to full drive to get the car unstuck , then when your rolling along you can reach down and switch it back to normal . If you don't reach down and switch it off , at some point the car will switch it off for you .
I see. That sounds like a nice feature. Under "normal" mode there's still power to all four wheels though, correct? The differentials will split the power rather than going evenly to all fours?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Yeah , thats the way it works in general .

Re your letter , you have started talking about the purchase before seeing the car .
Thats like talking marriage before the first date .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
Yeah , thats the way it works in general .

Re your letter , you have started talking about the purchase before seeing the car .
Thats like talking marriage before the first date .
Well, I'm a horny guy.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Japanese negotiators tend to put less emphasis on the literal meanings of words used in negotiation and more emphasis on the relationships established before negotiating begins.[16] They are also less likely than their U.S. counterparts to make procedural suggestions.[17]

http://www.beyondintractability.org/...e_negotiation/

Quick Reply: Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?