Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car conversion is coming along (including JIC thread update)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Car conversion is coming along (including JIC thread update)

As the title says the car is not finished but is now being enjoyed. I went to CMP last weekend and it drove very well.

In the main I've done the JIC suspension install, seats, harnesses, RA-1 tires and CCW wheels but also heater, cat, primary bypasses + Wong chip, etc etc.

Obviously I got the JIC's in the end. It took almost 2 months from the time of the order to get them (really because of SIMA, T'giving and whatever at their end). And they sent the incorrect rear mounts, but to their credit, overnighted the right ones. In sum, they work great and the remote adjusters, while they could be several inches longer are now more easily accessible. If you want a great c/o get them but order them WELL in advance of when you actually need them. Mine were through Viper Bob btw who was as helpful as he could be.

The car is back with Kinetic for Big Yellows install, MAF conversion and further suspension tuning (alignment/lowering). Early in Jan I plan to put a cage in and 3.8 conversion ( well, we'll see about that last item- Kinetic are keen to do it but . . . )

The decent continues. But I'm having much fun on the way down.

p.s. Thanks Tom for the inspiration.
Attached Images     
Old 12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice!! I love slate grey and we don't see a bunch of them. What do you mean by remote adjusters?? Do you mean the *** or did Cross come up with external cans??

Love the car and it looks very clean, keep the pictures coming....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, looks absolutely beautiful! Not normally a gray fan but that is really nice! Which MAF conversion did you use? I'm looking for a n/a 964 at the moment and very interested in the related thread regarding the MAF changeovers.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow she has come a long way fast! Keep the pics coming! how about some of the interior?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Many thanks for the compliment.

No not like Motons. You can get JIC's with an extended adjusters now that extends (in the rear) much farther, but ultimately not far enough forward. Now you can reach easily the drivers side to adjust (though my rear blower is gone) while the passenger side is still tricky as you have to reach over the airbox. Now at least you don't have to remove anything to adjust them. I'm going to tie a long postal tie to it so it is more easily found- sometimes you reach back there and fish for it.

The fronts are same 'ol but work fine. Turn the wheel, reach up and adjust.

I'm really glad I was able to get these in the end- there may very well be better systems out there, but these work very well as a complete package and short of Motons are good value IMO.

More pics? Sure. How about a couple of before pics and one of the interior.
Attached Images    
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Very clean ride. Did you pay more for this one compare to your polar 964??

Are yellow seat cushion softer for the buns??
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

Great looking 964 Do you know your wheel and tire specs, offsets, etc?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

looks fantastic! i really like that colour...

one question - which spoiler is that?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Actually I got a second set of cushions and put in less padding in one set for the track- with my helmet I barely clear the roof. Then for long hwy trips (like 4.5 hrs to CMP) I double up on some pads on for a plusher ride.

Wheels are custom from CCW but I think are 18 x 8 and 18 x 10 with 225/40 and 275/40 RA-1s. I never asked the offest- they know what works for the 964.

Alignment is about -2.5F and -1.5R which is the max we can get atm. Kinetic are making up new camber plates to permit at least -2.5 all around.

Wing is 3.6 from Rennspeed- it was inexpensive but comes with rough finish and takes considerable filling and prep work before painting. I would recommend spending more and getting one that is primed and gtg.

Yes I paid more because though the car has similar mileage it has had the top end done- that and I really wanted this colour combo which is not that common. Plus the silver car was a relative steal I think. If I dollar average the pair I came out around the median price.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 PM
deoxford
Pro

David,
Will we be seeing you at the next DE? Love the rims, and I dig the wing too.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Gawd I hope so- I just registered for RA which I thought wasn't open for a while. Doh.
I'm tired of doing all road games when I only live 35 mins from RA.

If not I may rent Talladega GP on a weekday and have at it. Actually we should get a few guys together
and do just that- its very reasonable. 4 or 5 guys would be all we'd need. Unlimited track time- nice.

I went back and forth on the wing- GT3's have wings, but so do Hyundai's these days. I thought RSA but settled on the 3.6 and really like how it came out.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Shane D
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ritter
As the title says the car is not finished but is now being enjoyed. I went to CMP last weekend and it drove very well.

The car is back with Kinetic for Big Yellows install, MAF conversion and further suspension tuning (alignment/lowering). Early in Jan I plan to put a cage in and 3.8 conversion ( well, we'll see about that last item- Kinetic are keen to do it but . . . )

The decent continues. But I'm having much fun on the way down.

p.s. Thanks Tom for the inspiration.
That is a beautiful car! If I was to sink some money into a 964 it would look very much like your car. Not a huge fan of silver/grey, but the dark colour looks great. The rims and wing really finish it nicely.

It sounds like you are paying someone else to do the work? Would you mind saying how much you have invested at this point?
Thanks!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
deoxford
Pro

David,
Please count me in for the Talladega GP , and see you at RA in Jan
Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Vast sums I'm afraid. I'm as good a mechanic as Brittany is a mother.
Funny thing, is I'm not much of a driver either <<shrug>>. But I love the tracking the car and even just driving on the street is a joy.

I do my bit by sourcing all the parts at the best price I can find and they (Kinetic) install. I do do minor work but its fractional. They do ask me questions like- nice wheels did you get them, or where did you source Mobilube PTX 75W-90. I tell them Rennlist is your friend and the source of all things worth knowing.

Derek- I'll post a separate thread to gauge interest in a private track day. I spoke to another P car owner who does one every so often with some guys at his work. I think its like $1,500 for a weekday including parameds etc. Sure its not RA or Barber, but I think thats very reasonable and its very close to Atl- and we'd being going against the traffic on I-20!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you finally got your JIC's. Car looks great!

Quick Reply: Car conversion is coming along (including JIC thread update)