Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I am also interested in your kit. Will you still honor the intro pricing after you re-open? If not how do I get in on one?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Darren, Please email me directly we can discuss.

In all honesty, I did not expect such a positive response, thank you everyone. At the moment I have a list of people interested in the kit, however I do not have enough kits to supply everyone who expressed interest. By Monday, I will have a clear idea of how things stand. Individuals who paid for the kit, will get it. People that are on the list, if they have not paid will lose their spot to the next in line.

I will do my best to get a kit to each one interested. I would like to stagger the orders so I can give each one plenty of support if needed.

Make sure you contact me as soon as possible to make arrangements, and please be patient I only have 24-hrs a day!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Southampton76
Racer

Looks like you are on a winner here John. How about extending that price break for the first 20 or so?

I sent you an e-mail

Be interested in others experiences as they get their kits.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
The sticker on the filler flap of my '90 car does indeed say 95 Ron as does the handbook.
My mistake, checked four cars currently in the workshop without thinking that they were all 964RS's. D'oh.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:23 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

A brief update -
- I have replied to every email I received, if I missed one, please email me back.
- Individuals who already paid, I will ship ASAP and you will receive a tracking #.

As of this morning, all of the kits in stock are spoken for, awaiting payments. However, there is good news.

I decided to honor the promotional price for 15 additional kits, to be shipped as soon as I have the products ready. Hopefully before the Holidays, otherwise it will be early January.
If you wish to receive one of the 15 kits, please send me an email so I can add you to my waiting list. You will be notified, in order, as soon as the products are ready ship, payment can be made then. The list will be closed by Monday.

I hope everyone find this agreeable. I apologize for not being able to deliver as many kits as requested by Monday. Your response exceeded my expectations, and I do appreciate it. I look forward to working with the 964 community, hopefully I'll be able to bring you additional performance products and services.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-05-2007, 12:53 AM
deoxford
Pro

Hi, Guys I have been out of town and very busy with work so I missed some of the questions.

But , I don't work for John
I do think my HP gain are a combo of the MAF, and the rest of the parts that I have bolted on.

If there are any other questions, or if you would like to see for your self and in the area just let me know, It is a good reason to get the car out.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
.....So it is really a 20hp gain with this mod... not 50, correct?
258 HP measured at the wheels is pretty impressive. Stock HP is 247, but that is measured at the flywheel. If the drivetrain loss is 15 HP, the approximate gain over stock is 26 HP - more than 10% increase.

John is correct that it is the area under the curve, that matters. Also, sags in the torque response are a problem with many engine mods - more peak HP, but such problems at some speeds that it is not worth it.

I have a bolt stock 964 except for a primary bypass. It is freshly-tuned and running great. Anyone see a problem with lining up side-by-side in 3 rd gear at 2000 RPM and see how much more quickly he reaches 6000 RPM? If he walks away from me, I want to buy the MAF!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:53 AM
deoxford
Pro

Springer,
I am up for it, I sent you my number give me a call, I will be making a run for a little bit this Thursday or Friday afternoon with a friend in the neighborhood. if you or anyone wants to join please do.

As far as the calculation for the drive train loss , it is not 15 hp or 15%
It is the Hp reading from the dyno (258) / .85 = hp at the engine (very close) 303 hp

This method is used by the dyno shops and must tuners
Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

This thread reveals a marketing ploy which converts the typical average
performance chip "sell" of $300-$500 to high profit performance chip
"package" sell which can be three to four times that amount. Since the
performance package buyer doesn't really know what the main so-called
hyped performance benefit is really attributable to, i.e. the chip and/or
the MAF, the seller can "push" other so-called performance items
which by themselves yield no performance gains, i.e. perceived
gains.

This type of sell is easiest with many naive buyers who get sucked in
by the hype and fail to fully analyze and evaluate the hyperbole posted.
As with most/all MAF conversions, little to no performance gains result.
The key to selling that conversion is to "push" the timing maps with the
performance chip supplied to values of 3-5 degrees advance over the
stock chip. Advancing the timing in a performance chip develops basically
all the perceived performance increase, as tweaking the fuel maps for
a NA stock engine yields little over what the OEM originally setup.
Furthermore, the seller never supplies the data of real benefit of the MAF
conversion by itself.

So, like all hyped performance products, BUYER BEWARE!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM
jeff522
Racer

Strong words Lorennfb. First since the 964 stock dose not support MAF unit you have no choice to use new software. The two work together, they will not work on there separately. Second switching from the AMF of the stock 964 to an aftermarket MAF can give real increases in performance. Since I don't have a dino I have always followed improvement in performance. For me 1/4 mile trap speed has been the contestant and reproducible( less driver dependent ). I obtained a increase of about 4 mph(97 to 101 mph) in the 1/4 mile with the Autothority MAF. This worked out to about a 25 rwhp(30hp crank) increase. Finally, Vitisse Racing has a long history in the 944 community, and enjoys a great reputation, so I give the benefit. Lets be honest the mods done on deoxford's 964 prior to the Vitisse MAF will get you no where near 258 rwhp as shown on his dino run.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
deoxford
Pro

Loren,
Hi, I have to stand up for the product I purchased because, I was just as scared of the results if it is not done correctly.
I have to tell you , I did 27 or so pulls on the dyno with John making sure the map was correct and would not be harmful to the engine. I just spent over 7k on a top end rebuild and I want it to last.
We drove around for several hours at normal speeds with his lap top connected to make sure that the engine preformed at all ranges. And It did.
I can tell you with my set up I did see the 258hp number. I can also you that we saw higher numbers then that , but they were not at a safe air fuel ratio. And I know that the timing Maps were not pushed, as they were with the chip I had in the car before.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
LPM911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deoxford
I recently did the MAF upgrade
bumps you up (or is it down now in the new lettering scheme) 2 classes in PCA club racing though. but could be good for NASA GTS.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

hmm, mine says 98....
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
donoman
Racer

I'm actually curious how much HP was gotten from the software and how much was gotten from the MAF. Then I also wonder "How can an MAF give you that much more HP?" Is it less restrictive? I know if responds faster to changes in airflow but doesn't this just translate into better throttle response (how does it end up giving you FIFTY more ponies WOW!!!

Waiting for before & after dyno's. Then you will have my money!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

This took far longer than I expected..........

K.

Quick Reply: MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?