Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?

I recently did the MAF upgrade with the Vitesse Racing MAF and chip , and all I can say is WOW. A over 19 bhp gain from bolt on parts . tested on the dyno

Today I took it for a quick spin to the store for a Mountain Dew. Well
that is the story I told the wife, I have been just dying to take the car out for a ride all weekend.
That ride was a 2 hour ride of just fun! I really can't get over the smooth crisp power. All the way though the RPM range.
I mean this is like a new car , and the throttle response is amazing . I can't get over how fast it gets to the RED Line. and Smooth just smooth.
This changed the car and power so much that there are a few points that I had the relearn today because of the speed it can get up to now.

So as you can tell , I am really happy with my upgrade ,and John with Vitesse was great to work with . Very knowable and precise in his work. Attached is his site.
http://vitesseracing.com/

I am thinking that this is the top of the bolt on performance upgrades you can do to the 964

1. MAF Kit
2. Cat bypass
3. Primary bypass
4. Blistien HDs
5. TRG sways

Non Bolt on

1. LWT Fly kit
2.?
3.?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by deoxford; 12-28-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! When did he release the MAF kit for the 964?! Coming from owning a 944 Turbo I've been waiting for him to start working with the 964. I guess it's time to start a Maf Fund.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

50hp with just this upgrade, or with your other stuff as well? Sounds pretty nice!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
donoman
Racer

50HP for $1250??? Is that for reals or do you work for the guy?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you post the graphs?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Derek, I'm glad you are enjoying the car. I have a feeling your trips to the store will increase

I developed the kit for Derek's car, thank you Derek for being patient with me. Derek does not work for Vitesse, he is a paying and a satisfied customer.

We have been developing MAF kits for Porsche for many years. On the 944/951 platform, we actually rewrote the Motronic to add the functionality we needed. All of Vitesse MAF kits, including the 964 are true MAF conversions. We modify the software in the ECU/DME to operate on Air Mass. We use a MAF sensor capable of supporting 700+hp, so if you ever increase the performance or go forced induction you do not have to purchase a new kit, just a chip reflash.

Derek's car already had the cat bypass and the primary bypass when we installed the MAF. The performance gains must be attributed to the MAF, the exhaust setup and of course a solid engine. Peak HP/TQ numbers are not as important as the area under the power curve. The response, the smooth drivability are very important as well. There are many characteristics that you do not see on a dyno chart, we concentrate on all of them. At the time of the dyno, we used 93oct fuel.

The dyno chart showing the HP/TQ at the wheels, is posted on our website 964 MAF

I will be glad to answer your questions, just ask. We will be closed the 5th through the 9th, please be patient if you do not get a prompt reply.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Great work John and thanks for taking the time to develop this package for us 964 owners... I notice the kit is on sale at the moment, however if you are closed for the above dates does that mean we only have until the 4th to reserve a kit at that price? If this is the case, can you put me down for one and we can work out the details when you have time.

Neil
Old 12-03-2007, 11:03 AM
jeff522
Racer

I will be installing my MAF kit today from Vitesse Racing. Once installed I will be obtaining multiple 1/4 mile trap speeds and ETs. I have been obtaining results since I got my 964. I have them for air filter and chip, LWFW, Autothority MAF and soon the Vitisse MAF. While not as accurate as a dino for hp and torque, it dose give a measure of improved performance. I will be sharing these numbers in a few days.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

50hp! I call this BS until I see the dyno sheets...

Update: ooppss...

Dyno Chart

So it is really a 20hp gain with this mod... not 50, correct?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Neil, I wasn't aware we will be closed when I started the promotion. I am looking into this. I got your email, and will reply shortly.

Jaime, as I stated above, the performance gains are based on the particular setup Derek has (as outlined above as well). As to how much power was made because of the MAF by itself: 1hp, 10hp, 20hp or 50hp is just speculation, we did not measure the before and after. To properly measure the before meant running the car with the factory chip and the mods as above, not a safe test. The performance gains over stock for Derek was based on calculations of what the factory advertised vs. what he measured on the dyno.

No 2 cars are 100% identical, which is why we also offer our PiggyBack for added flexibility. Our goal is to extract the most "reliable" performance out of the car, be it 2hp or 100hp. HP is not the end of the road, there are many things that you cannot measure on the dyno: crisp response, smoothness.. All of which we address. We also offer custom setup, be it a LWF or a configuration for turbo conversion.

At the time Derek approached me for this project I had no plans to enter the 964 market, as I didn't think many 964 owners will be interested. I was wrong! The MAF and Piggyback are just a start!

I am new to the 964 market, however I am not new to converting Porsches and extracting reliable power out of them. As a policy, I only post dyno charts as received from the customers! I strongly believe in providing a well engineered solution; however any product can always be improved. I welcome customers feedback to aid me in the improvement process.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
50hp! I call this BS until I see the dyno sheets...

Update: ooppss...

Dyno Chart

So it is really a 20hp gain with this mod... not 50, correct?

If this kit is anything like the kit that AMD used to do in the UK then it is good for 50 bhp with a cat!! Mine has it installed and was dynoed at 296bhp with a cat. And yes I have the charts to prove but not the gear to scan them!!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Any pictures of the kit?

Kevin
Old 12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Gary C2 UK
Instructor

Hello John, could you tell me if this could be supplied suitable for a UK fitting? Our fuel is normally 95RON with 97-98 available as well. 98 is normally what people suggest with their Motronic chips over here. I have a US address if you prefer to only ship stateside. If it could be supplied to suit the UK fuel then I'd like to expreess my intent to purchase during your promotion. Do you have any pictures of the installation, in particular the air-filter used? What brand of AFM is it, Bosch?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

How is your kit compared to Autothority?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gary, the kit will work on UK cars. 98RON is similar to US 93Oct, since it's available I recommend using it. Please email me for ordering.

CWay27, as a policy we do not compare our products to anyone else. We use a unique MAF sensor, calibrated to our specs, and includes a built-in Intake Air Temp. Our software is developed in house to handle true Air Mass. We also offer support to LWF. Our custom software is delivered on our in-house designed and developed chip/board, not on a EPROM. The chip/board allows us to load multiple images (a image is the content of a EPROM/chip), this comes handy if you have unique requirements. Let's say you plan to upgrade to a LWF, or you know that you will be moving to an area where you can only get 91oct fuel, but at the moment you have access to 93oct or you plan to run race gas; each will have an image.
There is a customer that will be replacing his APE MAF with a Vitesse MAF, I would leave it up to him to compare the products if he so wishes.
We design, develop and test our products, we take pride in our customer service. As I mentioned it already, we are new to the 964 market. Feel free to do a search and read what our customers have to say about us.

Quick Reply: MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?