Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gfunk,
The test results are 53 hp more then the specs for my car . The stock 964 hp specs are 250 correct?
I got 303 on the dyno with about 25+ pulls . That is 53 hp right?

Like i said before I just am happy with a new mod that i have done and what'd to share it with the board.
John made no claims , I did .

As for the dyno test;
I have to disagree with the thought that running my car with the stock stuff, then running it with the MAF would result no good data.
When I run my car with the stock stuff it does in fact become the "blank" And running it with the MAF then it become the "sample". on the same instrument .That data is VALID, I spend a little time in the lab myself .

That test would show a gain , would the gain be the same for every car? NO
But it is a valid method to show the gain

Last edited by deoxford; 12-25-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gfunk
I think when a company comes on a board advertising a new product they should expect to be asked for some verifiable evidence that the modification works as advertised. In this case I believe it was a customer who set the expectation for a 50HP gain whereas the manufacturer didn't make any particular claim other than performance would be better.

So far the test results for this mod have been underwhelming - no noticable improvement over basically stock engine. Hopefully we'll see some better results in the weeks to come.

If someone has a legitimate performance upgrade for the 964 they are not going to stop offering it because of some harsh criticism on a bulletin board.
John never claimed numbers, nor did he object to questions. Some of us are trying to point out that one can ask a question with out being a jerk, one can disagree with out insulting and at the end of the day, if companies don't make products for our cars (cars which are not getting any younger) we won't ever have the options we have when they do...

it is all about the tone, let's just keep it civil. at the end of the day if you don't think the investment is worth it, vote with your Porsche dollars and don't buy it. but we've got a few keyboard jockey types who like to Monday morning quarterback things and throw some insults in for good measure.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
gfunk
Pro

Originally Posted by deoxford
g****,
The test results are 53 hp more then the specs for my car . The stock 964 hp specs are 250 correct?

Like i said before I just am happy with a new mod that i have done and what'd to share it with the board.
John made no claims , I did .

As for the dyno test;
I have to disagree with the thought that running my car with the stock stuff, then running it with the MAF would result no good data.
When I run my car with the stock stuff it does in fact become the "blank" And running it with the MAF then it become the "sample". on the same instrument .That data is VALID, I spend a little time in the lab myself .

That test would show a gain , would the gain be the same for every car? NO
But it is a valid method to show the gain
Apart from the freudian spelling mistake on my name I think we are in agreement. I said it was a customer (that would be you) who claimed the 50HP improvement. The problem with a single dyno test is there is no way to determine how accurate it is. So the 300 you read could be 325 or maybe 275. Running a before after with your car would certainly be valid for determining the improvement and as I said I look forward to seeing the data. Having a control vehicle like Springers tested would add additional info but it isn't necessary.

Greg
Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 429 Posts

Hey Guys - if power/torque were related to the sound this thing lets the engine make... holy smokes!!!! I don't think I can run Laguna Seca with this thing installed!! It's amazing how much intake sound the Air Flow Meter and cut open airbox blocks out. ...more to come
Old 12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deoxford
I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread.
No hostility at all here. I love all you guys.

Derek,
Spec is 247 hp. So you're claiming 56hp.
Is 303 hp the result of 1 of 25+ pulls or is that an average?

Seems to me that the only true test is to test the stock setup on Derek's car - Stock exhaust, with stock chip, stock AFM, stock intake. Then increment up with whatever combination of exhaust, chip (timing map adjust), MAF/chip (Timing and fuel map adjust) you can come up with. Multiple runs with each setup. This will be expensive and take time.

My bet is that when you have a cat bypass and exhaust bypass (either kind), there is a statistically insignificant difference between a timing push vs. fuel map/timing push assuming stock injectors as has been seen before. That's the test to perform.

Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 PM
deoxford
Pro

Steve,
That is the avg , we saw some higher numbers too.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:52 PM
deoxford
Pro

garrett376,
Man it makes you smile doesn't
Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
This sounds like an excellent and very fair offer.

Hopefully somebody local will accept the offer and we can answer some questions once and for all.

Marc
....and if the results are in favour of the MAF, I will have to modify my Christmas wish list.
Marc,

Thought your car was already fitted with a Promax MAF/chip tuned by Geoff.
https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911/351619-installing-a-promax-maf-and-chip.html
If correct, what would move you to John's product?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Whilst I am here....anyone care to post their exhaust gas readings, i.e. Nox C02 etc, be good for a comparison on stock, for my mind anyways.

Kevin.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"My bet is that when you have a cat bypass and exhaust bypass (either kind), there is a statistically insignificant difference between a timing push vs. fuel map/timing push assuming stock injectors as has been seen before."

That's it!

The key to remember is that three variables exist; i.e. the MAF meter,
the fuel map changes, and "pushed" timing maps. Without contolling for
each of these variables, the true effect of each variable can't really be
determined. The MAF mod mostly likely has all three variables changed.

As mentioned before, the variable which mostly likely produces the greatest
change, if there truely is a change, will be the "pushed" timing maps.
Given that's the case, the MAF mod car will run higher octane fuel to
avoid detonation, i.e. prevent the knock sensors from retarding the
timing thus reducing the torque. The higher octane adds another variable,
too.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:22 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Whilst I am here....anyone care to post their exhaust gas readings, i.e. Nox C02 etc, be good for a comparison on stock, for my mind anyways.
My July 2007 report, everything bolt stock, State of Georgia Emissions Inspection Report:

-------------Idle-----------Allowable--------Loaded on Dyno------------Allowable
HC (ppm)--000--------------123-------------------000----------------------128
CO (%)----0.00--------------0.69------------------0.01---------------------0.71
NO (ppm)--298--------------878-------------------602----------------------970
CO+CO2---15.1-------------6.0 min--------------15.0----------------------6.0 min

Cat bypass or MAF are "off road only" modifications under EPA and state regulations. Looking at the NO numbers, there is not much "push" available in timing before the limit is exceeded. I get knock sensor activity on hot days on pump gas. Any timing "push" would probably hurt my acceleration unless I gas up at the airport 100 octane pump ($6.00 per gallon last time I looked).
Old 12-25-2007, 11:37 AM
madmoog
Racer

Springer3

$6 per gallon, is that all

Here in the uk on Christmas eve I paid £5.08 per gallon

Say, $2 to £1 that makes $10.16 per gallon (I know uk and us gallons differ, but never the less that is ******* expensive!).

Have a good one and be grateful your government doesn't stiff you about 75%+ tax on petrol

Last edited by madmoog; 12-25-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 12-25-2007, 02:02 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

93 octane premium pump gas is only $3.15/gallon, and 87 octane regular is still below $3 in Atlanta.

We in the US still have a very sweet deal. I don't think many of us appreciate it as much as we should.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies

Kevin.
Taken last May. Stock Cat, Primary bypass, Stock secondary.

-------------------Static, no dyno-------------------
---------------------2433 rpm-------883 rpm-------
-------------------Measured--------Measured-------Spec (Texas)
HC (ppm)----------- 4 ----------- 5----------------220
CO%---------------- 0 ----------- 0.02-------------1.20
CO2%--------------- 6.9 ---------- 6.6----------------n/a
O2%---------------- 10.4---------- 10.9---------------n/a
NOx (ppm)-----------0---------------0------------------n/a
Dilution %------------6.9------------6.6----------------->6.0
Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting difference between our identical cars (I am also stock except for the primary bypass). Your NOX numbers are not correct - I don't think you can have zero. We are essentially the same for CO - the really bad stuff.

Quick Reply: MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?