Sponsored by:

Rear shock assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
loot87
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock assembly

I just put new Bilstein HD and HR Sport springs in my 91 Turbo. It's got issues on the rear. At first it sounded OK. Then I started hearing bonking noises from back there. Then it started squeaking whenever I hit a bump. Now the back end doesn't settle after a bump and oscillates 2 or 3 times.

So either my brand new Bilsteins are bad or I assembled it wrong. I'm hoping for the latter. Can someone take a picture of the rear assembly. I'm thinking that I put the top mounting hardware together wrong.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:56 PM
RedlineRay
Advanced

Then I started hearing bonking noises from back there. Then it started squeaking whenever I hit a bump. Now the back end doesn't settle after a bump and oscillates 2 or 3 times.

It is very rare that a bilstein shock would be defective, but that is what it sounds like. First, open your rear deck lid and check the locking nuts on the shock shaft. The nut may have backed off and the shock is now loose. Try to bounce the rear and looking at these shock mounts and locking nuts. If you can not see anything loose, bounce and feel each corner of the rear. You should be able to feel the difference and locate the problem shock. If you can not find anything loose, it is going to have to come apart. Consider it Practice!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
loot87
Racer

Moron!! Having both washers on top of the mount is NOT good. I forgot the one on the bottom and the piston is shooting up into the engine compartment. I'm lucky I didn't rupture the AC pipe.
What an idiot.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Anything worth doing right, is worth doing twice.

Even though we don't want to admit it, we could all post stories of our (mis)adventures in the DIY world. I had a dumb brake bleeding story.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

LouZ, I bet I had the same brake bleed misadventure. After cleaning up the brake fluid on the shop floor and changing my skivvies everything was OK. Live and learn.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM
loot87
Racer

Well, it only took two hours to do it again. This time I didn't have to pull the AC, airbox, and intercooler.
The ride is AWESOME. Feels like a different car. I took it up to 120 on an empty road this morning and it was rock solid.

It'll be a miracle if the AC is still OK, but I don't need to worry about that until summer. Can AC lines be fixed DIY?

Quick Reply: Rear shock assembly