Sponsored by:

Induction techie Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Induction techie Q

Hi guys, am playing around with some induction ideas on my car. And know roughly what I want to do, my question is. Is a 3" bore induction pipe going to allow enough air in with my car running about 300bhp and running a hotfilm mod? I ask as this is the only size tube I seem to be able to get!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

induction design is all about velocity, pressure and harmonics. 3" will allow plenty of air through at the right pressure and velocity. the question is whether it will flow at the proper velocity & harmonic. also, the static pressure drop per length of that pipe. there are a ton of variables here.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by insite
induction design is all about velocity, pressure and harmonics. 3" will allow plenty of air through at the right pressure and velocity. the question is whether it will flow at the proper velocity & harmonic. also, the static pressure drop per length of that pipe. there are a ton of variables here.
Eeek! Had no idea it would be that difficult, thought it would just look cool!
The pipe length will be about 13". The outlet from the cone filter is a tad over
3" and the MAF is about the same, so assumed it would all be well matched.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
Agreed. You may want to read this thread to get a feel for the complexity.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

I did read that thread but can not see the relevance as I am only talking about the tube from the airfilter to the MAF. If it were any other car I would probably just use a bit of flexi!!

Quick Reply: Induction techie Q