Blowing engine oil smoke from fan housing - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Blowing engine oil smoke from fan housing

Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Tinwan
User

Question Blowing engine oil smoke from fan housing

Hi all,
Long time since I needed to ask a question although I wish to confirm my theory of a current small problem. I had a rebuild back in 1999 and the car runs fine except for some oil leaks which is from the base of 2 of the cylinder barrel O-Rings. Eventually these seals need replacing but why pull out a perfect engine right now to replace with a low cost part. The engine only leaks on short urban drives, anything over 3 hours at highway sppeds and nothing leaks at all until I'm back in town. I spray degreaser on the underside and hose off any excess oil now & again so oil can't smoke on the manifolds although I have started to notice a little smoke rising from the fan housing for a few minutes after I switch off the car at my office after a 20 minute drive. Is this harmful or another problem as I can only assume right now that its the oil leaking from the base of the cylinders. Can I spay engine degreaser then water into the fan housing and would this harm anything inside to clean off the oil ?
Cheers, Mark
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Strega(UK)
User

The leak coming from the base seal is most likely at the top of the engine. I have seen a few that always seem to go there and not at the bottom. If left alone the worst it normally does is make a real mess under the plastic duct and bake onto the crankcase. Please remember though the alternator is in there and though sealed I would not want to put money on it not getting in there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: