Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorized decklid - can it be eliminated?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorized decklid - can it be eliminated?

Is it ok to remove the motorized wing/decklid and replace it with a fixed decklid like the earlier 911s have? I dislike the look and weight of the motorized one.

Does it really have any positive effect on cooling and aerodynamics?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do a search both here and over on pelicanparts. you will find a lot of info. from a simple logic view point, consider this would Porsche use it if it didn't cause the desired result?

you can run any rear decklid you want up through 94 as far as I know.

Good luck
Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

check out getty design and m.a. shaw for some nice bolt-on fiberglass replacement decklids. They might even have something that just pops in the motorized wing area - I know they do for 993s not sure about 964s.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

I replaced mine with an RSR bi-plane spoiler, it is amazing how much lighter it is over the standard lid. Am surprised a lot more racers here don't do it.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Get an RSA replica wing and replace your spoiler with it. It bolts directly on to the deck lid. Similar cooling and a lot more downforce, what's not to like
Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
I replaced mine with an RSR bi-plane spoiler, it is amazing how much lighter it is over the standard lid. Am surprised a lot more racers here don't do it.
They are not legal for some race classes in PCA, such as GTC-1
Old 11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Anatol
Racer

Originally Posted by mjshira
from a simple logic view point, consider this would Porsche use it if it didn't cause the desired result?
The RS America proves that Porsche did it themselves and it works!

I removed my motorized rear wing very early on and replaced it with a Carrera 3.2 wing (almost identical with the RS America wing). I liked the looks, it gave better stability than with the small wing but it was heavy.

Afterwards I went with the RS 3.8 wing but found aerodynamics to be out of balance. You need lots of downforce up front with that wing!

From then on I have had an ultra light carbon wing-***-decklid, a direct copy of the RS America wing. Very light, great balance and nice looks:

On my RS Clubsport:

And on my C2 (gone, not forgotten):

Old 11-19-2007, 04:15 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anatol
The RS America proves that Porsche did it themselves and it works!

From then on I have had an ultra light carbon wing-***-decklid, a direct copy of the RS America wing. Very light, great balance and nice looks:
+1

Why anyone would think a complicated heavy rear wing ( try picking one up !!)is better than a light simple one is anyone's guess. It's difficult to think of a worse place to put pointless excess weight in a 911.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

I don't like the look of the RSA/Carrera rear wing. I want to keep the rear clean and sloping.

Has anyone had experience with a fixed rear decklid on a 964? Any cooling issues?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

No issues. A lot of the GTC1 cars in my region just raise the wing and then disconnect all the electrical stuff to save weight.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Anatol
Racer

You can also buy carbon rear decks where you can fit the 964-winglet in a raised position (or even with electric drive). That way you reduce the weight. But of course the looks would not improve...

If you really want to drive your car at speed (I mean, if you do not only want people to look at you), then you should have some sort of wing. After all the old tales that you need two lanes at speed are not without reason!

Read Paul Frere "Porsche 911 Story"!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

+1 on needing a wing at speed. Remember aero force is *roughly* proportional to the square of the velocity. Your car has the same effect as an airplane wing and produces more lift (more quickly) as you go faster. The rear wing (and appropriately matched splitter in front) go a LONG way in reducing the lift once you get near the triple digit MPHs.

If you have any doubt about aero effectiveness, stick your hand out the window at 80mph and feel the force exerted. Combined wing and splitter area is a LOT more than your hand, and thus can reduce the inherent lift of the car by a few hundred pounds in some cases. Driving a smooth back 911 with no splitter or wing at 150 mph would be almost suicidal.

Granted, you don't usually hit that speed on a road course, but even an 80mph turn with wing/splitter vs. without could result in a net difference of a couple hundred pounds pushing down on that rubber, making it possible to take the turn at say 85 mph instead of 80. I'm pulling these figures out of my you-know-what but they are definitely in the ballpark.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fast4525
I don't like the look of the RSA/Carrera rear wing. I want to keep the rear clean and sloping.

Has anyone had experience with a fixed rear decklid on a 964? Any cooling issues?
I have had my wing fail in the lowered position while driving on track. At the end of a 130mph+ straight, the handling was effected somewhat, but things got really interesting under heavy braking!

There was no effect on cooling noticed. If you are only driving at US street speeds, you can get away with disconnecting all of the pieces used to raise the wing.....if you must.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Fast4525
Instructor

I will not change my car to sacrifice function over form, however I don't ever remember Porsche claiming that the little motorized rear spoiler did anything for aero dynamics.

How much downforce could it provide if it is held up by a couple of fragile little gears?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fast4525
I will not change my car to sacrifice function over form, however I don't ever remember Porsche claiming that the little motorized rear spoiler did anything for aero dynamics.

How much downforce could it provide if it is held up by a couple of fragile little gears?
It really doesn't add any downforce...it reduces lift by spoiling the air flow.

Quick Reply: Motorized decklid - can it be eliminated?