964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you're thinking about JIC Cross suspension- you might think again

Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Although I have no personal experience with KW, several people I know on the race circuit have and have had good results.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer, David. What options are available through Kinetic? Or is it all JRZ, Moton, Penske or Ohlins? (read: $$$$$$) Have you considered non-adjustable Bilstein race shocks with, say, 600/800 springs? Sources include:
TRG
SmartRacing
Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Ya it is a bit. I really love the JICs on my other car but if they can't get it together and very soon- its plan B time. Kinetic are keen on Motons - so am I, along with imported French champagne.
I'm not ready for shocks that good. Plus I'd never get 1/4 of the money back when I sell.

Monday is d(ecision)-day. I'm thinking KW's could be a good alternative. I've got a friend in Germany who rates them highly- but no one I've talked to with direct 964 experience. <<sigh>>
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
Are you actually using these yourself? If so how do they compare?
I think you were directing this to me regarding the LEDA's. I have used them on my race car for 3 years on the narrow bodied C4, plus about 1 year now on the wide-body C4 race car. I also have a set on my street widebody C4. They are excellent, work as they should, and I've had zero issues. The adjustability is most useful on the race car because I have them set on a relatively lighter setting which permits me to drive it on the street, and to and from the races, and then I can stiffen them at the track. On my street car, after several months of fiddling with the adjustments, I've left them at their current setting. They are nice because they use run-of-the-mill Hypercoil springs so you can choose whatever rate you want, and the springs are(were) $60 or so per spring. You can use fancy camber plates/mounts, or stock mounts to save $$$. Overall, I really like them.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:49 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesj
I have kept my mouth shut about the JIC, but it honestly baffles me that they are as popular with porsches as they are. I come from the japanese sports car spectrum where they started, and if on in that world, they are really nothing special. Personally, I wouldn't use them again on a 240sx, and I certainly would not pay the extra 1k markup they have just for porsches. This is a solid 1600 product being sold for 2600+ in most cases. Not that there is anything dramatically wrong with them, but they are a so so damper, IMO not enough droop, and one way adjustable for too much money. The big positive is that they come with upper mounts and front camber plates. I am surprised more people do not go with KW V3s over these.

As for customer service, they come from a different background where customers expect a little less.

Anyways, thats my rant and the last I will say on JIC
I must agree,

I have not had any experience with the JIC's. Did consider them briefly but at the time did not know much about them. I did question in my mind about using a Japanese sourced and made part instead of something German on my Pcar. In fairness it does seem from all the postings that the owners of these units really are happy. What the Hell do I know? I decided to go with PSS9's instead and have been very happy. I may not have all of the adjustability but from what a local race shop told me I have the better quality units. Time will tell
Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1990-964
I did question in my mind about using a Japanese sourced and made part instead of something German on my Pcar.
That's funny. I have similar thoughts but then I think, "Well, if Ferrari has no problems mounting Japanese or French tires on their F1 cars, then it probably doesn't matter where parts are made." As long as it's spec'd for your car, hopefully tracked extensively on some test mule with similar chassis, then I think we're okay. But I'll never put anything British on my car--that's where I draw the line!

David, I think LEDA is certainly a good option and Karl Poeltl, the principal at Racer's Edge, is a fairly well-known PCA Club Racer, i.e. he has numerous F Class wins and track records in his 944S2. Many other top PCA race cars use these dampers, as well.

The CROSS package is hard to beat with the adjustability AND camber plates but it's really not much of an option if you can't get your hands on them. And don't forget to order the correct set for your car, parts made for 89-90 964's. The rears are different (top mounts, shock length) and you simply cannot install later monoball/camber plates into your '90.
Good luck!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

That was the second problem with Cross- on the first set they sent, they sent the wrong rear mounts though told of the build date ('92). The new car is '90 but has the newer asymetric bolt pattern so thats what was ordered.

In my mind it got nothing to do with Japanese build vs. German etc.- the problem is a lousy US distributor.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If LEDA is only just out of potential receivership with an uncertain future, I'd be concerned about future support and parts, regardless of how good the product or support is now.

Marc
Old 11-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I concur about LEDA, though they look pretty nice. I'm going to focus on KW's next week.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

KW might be out of business by 08...

just kidding... but not really - how do we ever know the situation with these companies? How good their products are does matter, since support/parts are probably never needed! What's the rebuild rate of KW's, or Bilsteins, or JIC's? How many 964's needed parts or support for their original 14 year old suspensions that most people still have installed? Definitely something to inquire about from your dealers and friends using the products...

Just a note, I could care less which one you buy... I just enjoy keeping everyone's minds open
Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

No one can predict the future with certainty, but I can predict the present and its not good with JIC.
KW are pretty popular in Germany and Europe- they could fold tomorrow (or get bought out by JIC!) but seem like a surer bet right now.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

If I think hard, I can come up with over 60 manufacturers of dampers (no doubt there are double or more this number). In fact, no one can guarantee which will be around in the future -- and, in fact, some of the most famous names are in the worst financial position because being a success in racing oftentimes means doing things that are financially less than prudent (e.g., giving away product, making changes rapidly for which one either cannot charge or cannot charge enough, not charging for track support, etc.). Having said this, if one wants performance better than OE, one picks units and ones price range not as an long term investment but for the performance or fun or both. In the medium priced 964 world this might mean Bilstein, Intrax, JIC, KW, Leda, ProTrac, etc. Personally, I would go for Bilstein or KW but all have their pros and cons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you're thinking about JIC Cross suspension- you might think again