Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter storage...

Old 11-12-2007, 11:38 AM
SNOWBIRD
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage...

I am thinking of leaving the P Car behind in NJ this winter instead of bringing it to Florida Dec-May... My immediate thought was to put Stabil in the fuel and disconnect the battery... I'm sure some of you do this every year.... It will be covered and locked up in my garage.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
eyue
User

I used to jack the car up, disconnect the battery and put a car warmer inside so that the leather inside would not get crack.....that was years ago when I was up in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Indycam
Super User

Fog the motor ?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wash, dry, wax, vacuum, cover.
Leave windows slightly cracked to help prevent the seals from taking a 'set'
Plug in a trickle charger (or if you remove the battery, take it inside)
Fill the fuel tank to the top (less room for condensation).
Fresh oil and filter
Overinflate the tires and/or use Tire Cradles
Park the vehicle over a waterproof tarp and/or plywood
(Secure storage against small rodents....they are not friendly)

Say good bye.....

When starting in the spring, pull the fuse/relay for the fuel pump (or ignition) and crank the car until oil pressure builds to normal. Repeat once or twice more. Plug in fuel pump relay/fuse and start car.

Enoy car .....
Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
SNOWBIRD
User

Here's the part I forgot to mention I needed to do also... I ended up just disconecting battery as I will be home for a week at Christmas and prefer my own wheels... With my luck, we'll have our first white Christmas in a long, long, long time!
I live on the bay in NJ and sometimes it floods into the garage, most I've ever had was 8" tho... I'll have to think up some project to do to it while it's up there!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Indycam
Super User

To cool .
Old 11-24-2007, 02:53 PM
polar964
User

Nice looking ramp ......Top idea .... in fact you got me thinking about having some steel ones made ..... just a thought whats the compression strength of those concrete blocks???? you would be better (safer !) with wooden blocks
Old 11-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Indycam
Super User

"compression strength of those concrete blocks"
They build very large buildings out of those blocks .
The first row atop the slab must be holding up a great deal of weight .
Old 11-24-2007, 07:56 PM
last toy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe everything has been covered. I would add to put an open tray of charcoal in the car to absorb any moisture, crack the windows about an inch as suggested, and hook the battery to a trickler, make sure the front hood is open about an inch for ventilation for the battery while charging. Just make sure the metal piece that controls the front hood light is adjusted to allow the light to stay off when the hood is up about an inch. I would put a carpet or viscoune down over the concrete to protect the bottom from moisture. But that may not be necessary since the car is a foot over the concrete and should get enough ventilation.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
SNOWBIRD
User

Originally Posted by last toy View Post
I believe everything has been covered. I would add to put an open tray of charcoal in the car to absorb any moisture, crack the windows about an inch as suggested, and hook the battery to a trickler, make sure the front hood is open about an inch for ventilation for the battery while charging. Just make sure the metal piece that controls the front hood light is adjusted to allow the light to stay off when the hood is up about an inch. I would put a carpet or viscoune down over the concrete to protect the bottom from moisture. But that may not be necessary since the car is a foot over the concrete and should get enough ventilation.
Last toy, never heard of the charcoal idea before... Will need to do some research on that one... If I have a fear about this whole thing, it would be mice... So far I have only seen evidence of them in my garage one time, the occasional flooding the island gets helps keep them in check... I thought about laying a tarp over the ramp and wrap it up around the car after the cover was on, but decided against it.
Like ltc pointed out, I've read posts before suggesting to over inflate the tires to combat flat spots, would like to get more opinions on that...
Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 PM
DarrylH
User

Dunno about charcoal - I think it would absorb odours well, but for moisture, I'd try this. (Item C)

As for rodents, I've heard mothballs work well - I use 'em, in little cheesecloth bags, and so far so good. I've also heard that cloves work, but no firsthand experience.

The most important thing is the battery maintainer, IMO. I use the Porsche one that plugs into the cigar lighter, it works fine, but any maintainer will do. The car will do fine for that length of time without heroic measures.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Richard Curtis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Instead of moth *****, try dryer sheets (the kind you put into the clothes dryer) instead. I've known both to work but the dryer sheets don't leave a bad odor. Don't forget to put some in the engine compartment as mice (squirrels, chipmunks, etc.) like to chew on electrical wiring coverings, too, and build nests there.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Southampton76
Addict
Rennlist Member

I store mine. I live in the country and my garage does get mice who come inside from the cold. I put it up on axle stands, put mouse traps under the stands to stop the little buggers from climbing in. I also put a trap in the car as well, just in case. I have caught a few on the traps under the stands.

I check on the car every week, just in case there is a dead rodent in there. never happened.

I remove the wheels and tyres. I crack open the windows, remove the battery and put it inside. I also put a protective cover over it.

Never had any problems
Old 11-26-2007, 02:55 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Awesome Ramp!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: