Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zipped or Unzipped?? Cabrio Hood!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:40 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zipped or Unzipped?? Cabrio Hood!!

Do you close your electric hood with the rear window zipped up or unzipped (& zip it up after closing)?

If I try to close mine zipped I find it won't latch and lock down. Sometimes one side only latches and then the hood switch doesn't work and I have to either fasten the unlocked side with the manual screwdriver mechanism or unfasten the locked side the same way.

However if the rear window is not zipped the hood fastens so tight against the vinyl trim at the top of the screen panel it has pulled it off in places.

Finally does your hood close in one continuos smooth movement? Mine stops once or twice as it closes and retarts when I release and repress the switch!

Your thoughts welcome.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Sounds to me that your whole hood needs re-rigging my old C2 cab would shut perfectly and smoothly whether the rear window was zipped in or not. I normally kept mine unzipped as the hood was nearly always down!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I keep my rear winder zipped and it opens and closes in a smooth movement. It sounds like you should have yours checked before something breaks.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

haven unzipped mine in the 4 years i have owned it. As others said better check to see whats wrong.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:24 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup; my top moves up and down smoothly. I vary, depending on how lazy I am, to zip or unzip the window.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
drisin80
Instructor

last year i replaced a broken b pillar over the winter--- and when i recalibrated the transmissions for closure of the top-- i forgot to zip in the window. the end result was that i ended up with mine behaving exactly like yours. this is not a problem for me, as i always unzip the window- (i have the top down for long periods of time, and want to prevent creasing)-before lowering the top. this is no problem for me, and if i get at the transmissions again, i will adjust them. it seems to me that there is not an issue with you breaking anything with the situation as it is. all that is happening is that with the window zipped in, there is a little too much tension to allow the front of the top frame to engage the two switches which allow the closing motors to operate. with the window unzipped-- this small release of tension in the top allows the frame to move forward enough to engage them. if this bothers you-- you can correct it by getting at the adjustments under the rear trim pieces where the transmissions are. lol tom
Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

I close the top with the window unzipped, and unzip the window before putting the top down.

Doc
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally unzip mine, as leaving it zipped seems to encourage creasing. Your jerky movement is a result of the controller unit. Mine does it too, and it's generally attributed to poor soldering within the unit. Some have resoldered the connections and solved the problem. You could also replace the control unit (about $112, as I recall). Personally, I just live with it, and press it a couple of times.

Quick Reply: Zipped or Unzipped?? Cabrio Hood!!