Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, new Rennlister (Australia)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day Dan,

Welcome from Victoria.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome - car looks great.

Marc
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+ 1, another welcome and hellow, this time from NSW... how did the PPI fare? Good news?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
ausdan
Advanced

The PPI went really well, the vehicle fairly much got pretty much a clean bill of health, leakdown tests sitting around 5%, a few little dings and minor issues but nothing major.

The lads really got stuck into her for being a HK delivered import to Australia, enough that I have been a little scared off and am re-thinking the purchase. I understand that Porsche themselves don't like imports because it potentially takes sales from their licensed dealers, but does an import really have its price knocked on the head by way of 15-50 percent. I need to think of resale value sometime down the track (when im ready to buy a 965) Is the import status going to mess up my chances?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Considering you're talking about a wide body kit and probably a few other of the mopre common mods, the question of resale is a moot point. If you plan on leaving the car completely unmolested, or limiting it to a few cosmetic modifications, then perhaps you need to consider the resale aspect. For myself, I bought an Aust delivery car because one came along with the specs I wanted. I would not have been put off by an import car. Considering the mods I have done to my car, it's probably only an enthusiast who would consider purchasing it now, if I were to consider selling it.

Remember, this is not a Japanese "grey import" car with a host of parts that can't be found in Australia when it comes toservice time, it's an ROW Porsche built in the same factory as all the other 964's.

If it's the car you want then I would go for it.

My 2 shekels worth... best of luck!!

Neil
Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twood
Rob
We are going to have to get you a better shot of your car for your avatar. I know someone that took some shots of my car at a skid pan day and if we ask him nicely he might take some shots of your car.
Hey Ken - it's not the photographer - as you well know - it just gets grainy as I reduce the resolution to suit the avatar requirements - I used photoshop - what else works?

And... Dan - both Twood (Ken) and I are Porsche Club Qld members (Twood just happens to be the membership secretary). If you're interested in finding out more, he's the one to talk to.

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Twood
Racer

Damn - my cover has been blown. Thanks Rob. (Rob is magazine editor for PCQ)

I wish Porsche Centre Brisbane would get off their high horse and stop worrying about private imports. It really annoys me and does nothing for them other make them look like petty and small minded. The only difference is that the car got off the ship in Hong Kong rather than continuing to Sydney. Other than that it is essentially the same car.
I would much rather a HK car with 50,000 K on the speedo than an Australian one with 150,000 K and costing $20,000 more. I wonder if they feel the same about cars that are bought in Melbourne rather than from Brisbane.
Dan, my car is a HK import. I could not be happier with it. Do not worry if the car is an Australian delivered car or not. It is much more important that it is a good car and has been well maintained. The sooner Porsche Centre Brisbane realise this then more people will support them.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

My 90 C4 is also a HK import, only 55,000 km when I bought it 3 years ago, and I'm the third owner (second in Oz).

The biggest problem I had was eventually due to a TSB that had not been done: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/298321-964-hesitating-tale-of-woe.html

Apart from that the only other problem was a stuffed starter motor a few months ago. Dont let the HK bizzo put you off.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:19 AM
David P
Instructor

Welcome, great to see another Australian on here.

Lots of Oz buyers a scared off by inports, but they are made at the same factory and can be significantly cheaper.

David P
Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

My 2 cents on HK imports

Without going into the pro's and con's (right or wrong) of why HK imports more difficult to sell, as long as you factor the reduced resale price into your purchase price, the end result is the same.

The first 964 I looked at was great colour combo, but unfortunately a very poorly kept HK import. No history at all, no books, and the PPI flagged 2 pages of bad news (the worst of which was a shoddy accident repair). I should have run away (and saved $300) when I realised the odometer had been disconnected!

Unfortunately in Oz (unlike the USA), there is a very limited number of used 964's (and even fewer 993's) at any one time, so you can't get too picky about colour combo's! New C4 in 1990 was $193,000 (which would have bought a big house in a good suburb) so you can understand why so few around!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Welcome

As an oz delivered vehicle owner I must admit to being one of those scared off buyers.

The only issue for me, is the resale and what you get if it came from HK. Because things happen over seas that you may not know about.

But if the car came from the factory to HK, and then from there to Oz, well it should be ok. But what if it came from say the UK, to HK or worse two or more cars came from the UK to HK and were put together in a rebirth, and there are hidden rust issues etc, etc.. That's the issue. Get Adrian Steather's book. It goes through all this car id issue in fine detail.

But the facts are these, in Oz, like it or not, a HK import will sell for less than an oz delivered vehicle. So either you get a bargain relative to oz vehicles, or you get ripped off. Caveat emptor my friend. Just don't pay too much and be confident of the history of the vehicle. And add 20% buffer for unforseen repairs.

Sooner or later you are going to spend some money. I have had two clear years, but now in the next 12 months I am going to need new engine mounts, possibly shocks, and bushes at the front. Its a fact of life these cars need maintenance given their age.

But I still get told "hey great car" in the street. And the car is 16 years old!And every person who has been for a drive never having been in a P car before marvels at the sound, handling and speed, and often tell me "never sell that car" which is remarkable given how far the modern car has come in terms of development.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Thanks for all the information and advice. The good news is that I have decided to go ahead with the purchase. The car is in great condition with its entire log book history and maintenance records, so i feel quite confident of its history. The engine rebuild was done to bring it back to new so I am told, the original owner was a total condition nut and seemed to like his cars 'as new' and has poured many documented dollars into keeping it like that. I will be the third owner, second in Oz.

So first off the bat, a few hundred km get to know you drive (with a platinum RACQ membership just in case) After that I am going to need to get some new rear tires and fix/replace the trunk struts as they no longer hold the trunk open. Not exactly sure if they need replacing or fixing until I get to spend some 1 on 1 time with the car.

Looking at that body kit thread $25K to do a wide body conversion, I think I might just leave it as original.

Now if it would just stop raining here I could start already
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good man!! Welcome to the fold and I can guarantee you'll have a blast. The road is often a rocky one but never ever boring!

Neil
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
rhyd911
Intermediate

Willkommen
Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Paul Morgan
Instructor

Perfect color...best of luck with your 964. I am on year three and still get a thrill driving it.

Quick Reply: First Porsche, new Rennlister (Australia)