Sponsored by:

What springs for my C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What springs for my C4?

Hi guys, have had a few issues recently on my suspension and have decided to replace my Eibach's for another make. Can anyone recommend any springs bearing in mind I have a very small budget?
Have been looking at Apex, H&R, Gemballa, are there anymore I have not thought about?
Any advice will be greatly received.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Forgot to mention, car is only used on the road!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Most would probably recommnd H&R's for the C4 unless you want to go to coil over sets. Sure you need springs and not shocks. Do yourself a favor and purchase the springs yourself and find a shop that will install them. I had my shop order bilsteins shocks for my C4 and it took forever to find the rears. not sure why, since pelican stated they had them in stock. My big surprise came when the shop quoted me $2400 for the shocks and installation. i'll run the car over a cliff before I go that route considering shocks should go for about $600 max. These shops are starting to get greedy.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Anyone ever used Jamex springs before?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 AM
964rh
Pro

Strega

afaik, the jamex springs only lower the car. Most others Eibach, H&R offer progressive springs.
This means that the more you use the spring the more progessive the spring rate (That's how my geo man explained to me anyway).
The Eibach's lower by around 30mm, H&R by 40mm. I went for the Eibachs cause at the time I wasn't using for the track and still wanted to get over speed bumps, which I still have some issues with sometimes.
Completely agree with the fact that you should buy then get someone to fit. My ex-shop charged my £275 for the springs and on further investigation I could've got for £200-225 on the net.

Rob
Old 10-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Bit of a dilemma then, set of 4 Jamex= £75, set of 4 H&R=£180 and Eibach's are about £250. Am on a budget but don't want to throw money at something that I would later regret.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
964rh
Pro

The jamex ones are purely for lowering the car. I did get offered some G-max ones for around the same price.
My way of looking at it was...I'd prob. throw a cheap set of springs at a saxo or golf etc, but for a 17 yr old car that cost me more than a lot of new cars, I wanted to spend get the best I could afford at the time.
Back to original post tho' what suspension issues are you having, you car looks low in your avatar anyway?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Have got a bad sag on the rear right hand side and the fronts are simply rotten.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi - good to meet you last Sunday! I would recommend - as you rightly say yourself - to not throw money at the cheapest solution. Do you know for a fact that your shocks are OK? Generally its cheaper and better to do them together for the best results. Normally I would recommend that you wait until you have sufficient budget to avoid wasting money in the longer term, but I guess its difficult if she is handling like a bitch as it is....its a difficult call...

Quick Reply: What springs for my C4?