Sponsored by:

Running too cool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Running too cool?

Is it possible for the car to run too cool? It is getting into fall here, so the daytime temps are much lower. I have a relatively short drive to work, so the car is not reaching the normal operating range as often as it was before. My fuel mileage has also gone down.. so I am wondering if my oil thermostat is opening either too soon, or is stuck open...

The oil also smells a little fuelish.. as if the engine is running too rich right now...

Short of checking temps at the oil cooler thermostat housing.. is there a test? Has anyone run into a thermostat that sticks open? Would that create worse gas mileage (like in a water cooled car)?

What is your winter/fall driving experience with the temp gauge? Mine often only reaches halfway past the first two marks... (7:30 or so on the gauge, or a little past 122F (per the P-car.com DIY page on the oil gauge)...

TIA!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long is your journey?

Mine tends to run just under the second mark, winter or summer. The difference is that in summer, it doesn't take much traffic - or much spirited driving - to get it at 9 o'clock.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your thermostat is open at all , warm oil will go up to the cooler .
When you get to work , feel up your cars right front for warmth .
If the right fronts no warmer that the left front , I guess that its not the thermostat .

The oil will smell of gas if the motor never gets hot hot .
Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had my C4 for two winters, going on my third. I find that often the temp just doesn't get hot enough to open the thermostat. Even with some spirited driving. It generally requires sitting and idling for a while to get the temp up enough to check the oil level during the colder months here in New York state.

Quick Reply: Running too cool?