Sponsored by:

My new 964C2 Cabriolet turbo look

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 964C2 Cabriolet turbo look

Hi everybody I just bought a 964 this week. Haven't clocked much miles in it as it's been raining everyday here & I need to get it all tuned up.

It's a RHD '92 C2 tip cabriolet Turbo-look. I understand it's very rare with possibly less than 20 made? This is the only one here in Singapore & it costed a whopping US$300K+ back then to import it (we have very high taxes for cars)

I missed it a few months ago when I was changing my ride but it went thru two owners before coming back & I thought I should not miss this chance again. I wouldn't look twice if not for the turbo body & it's very well kept & original.

It's now midnight blue metallic (had a US$6K baremetal job last year including new seals) with a dark-blue cabin with electric & heated seats. Leather dash, 18" turbo wheels?, twin Gemballa tips etc. The original colour was Maritime Blue. I saw that it had Ruf suspension fitted few years ago & I'll have it thoroughly checked next week. The tip changes very smoothly & seems to pull off 6+secs to 60mph. They rebuilt the steering rack few weeks ago but it's too tight now & still leaking

The accelerator pedal is a little stiff, can I lube the joints @ the bottom? The brake is not as strong/immediate & I thought maybe I should change new pads.

Overall, the engine is not as responsive & the steering is not as connected as a 911SC I had. How can make it feel more involving? The torque curve seems to come in very late.

I think the Cats are still there, should I change the extractor? but I wouldn't want it to sound too loud as it's a present for my wife (me will be using it ).

Where can I get an upgrade chip & are they worth it?

I heard drilling big holes in the airfilterbox makes nice sound or should I fit a cone filter?

Should I fit a structbrace up front?

Please feel free to give advises as I gave all my 911 books to my friend when I sold my SC.

Jon
Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pictures? sounds nice
Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Whom ever changed the color was an idiot and piece of advice, bring it back to maritime blue. It doesn't matter if it were a 6K job or 6$ dollars job, if you think this car is worth allot because only 20 were made, think again cause it's worth what ever you paid and maybe less.

Good luck with the car and please give it back its original color.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

+1.........

The first place that car should go is back into the paint shop. Make it Maritime Blue again. Seriously.

Congrats on the car BTW......these were very rare, I remember selling them, we got about 15 in total for all of Canada in 1993/1994, and that was it. They were badged "America Roadster" for the NA market instead of Carrera 2 on the rear decklid. The car had an $135K MSRP + 7% tax, which was a pile of money then. Ours were spec'd out exactly as a turbo car was, less the engine and whale tail.

It's a rare car.

A chip and airbox mods will help, as would an aftermarket exhaust and no cats. A strutbrace wouldn't hurt......it's a good idea on cabs IMHO.

My past experience with the 964 TIP was that is responded better when shifting manually, than in the automatic mode. Try that if you already haven't.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be wrong but I think that the 964 cabrio turbo look existed in much more units than 20. In Europe was introduced for the 92 model and featured a turbo body, no fixed turbo spoiler, 17" Cup wheels, mirrors and the turbo suspension. Only as a Carrera 2. The 964 American Roadster model made for the USA reached the production number of 250 units. Rare, rare is the turbo II cabrio tailor made in Zuffenhausen for about 4 units.

Maybe Adrian can bring here the exact number...I don't have any book in hands right know.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Thanks guys. Yes, I did check with Adrian prior to purchase & I'm surprised that so few were made. He doesn't have exact figures but guessed that less than 20RHD were made. There were 2 or 3 imported here & one was exported to NZ.

Here's some photos. I took sometime to take remove the spare wheel & carpet last night & the current paint goes through to the bottom & the orig. paint code plate is not there anymore. Everything up front looks straight with the chassis nos intact, soft fresh seals, nuts etc. All the motors, piping etc in there looks fresh & shiny (NICE!) so unless I spend big bucks to have it re-painted, I'll probably use it as it is now.

I'll probbably re-wrap the leather & carpets. Do you guys think I should do the cabin back to the dark blue? Since clients can spec to their like since day one.

I lubed the throttle springs on top of the engine & it's more responsive now.

As for the exhaust. Where & what do you guys recommend that I do? I see some companies selling a complete system from extractor onwards but @ 100dB.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the cover on the rear spolier? I like that clean look it has as a result. Do you have any pics with the spoiler raised?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
Whats the cover on the rear spolier? I like that clean look it has as a result. Do you have any pics with the spoiler raised?
I thought you guys might know! Haven't seen it on any cars so far, looks like it directs air into the engine better like a scoop (Ruf style), will take more pics later as the car's going in to workshop tomorrow for some minor work on aircon etc.

It's been raining here daily

BTW, is the engine that waterproof since it'll be exposed to rain with the grille. I had to make a cover over my distributor on my old SC so that it doesn't "leak elect." when wet.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

On my old C2 I had a Turbo rear spoiler with just mesh at the top and I never once had a problem and as a daily driver in the UK it saw a lot of wet days. Having said that the UK doesn't compare to the short sharp rain showers you get in Singapore.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Ha, and it says something about how nice your 911 looks that I have only just noticed the Murcielago in the background!!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It's from Strosek , they have 2 styles:

Last edited by TT-911; 12-15-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993S
It's from Strosek , they have 2 styles:
Oh my those pair of Speedsters look bloody good

But that purple one looks like one of those hotrods, wonder what can the driver see that tiny window.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
Ha, and it says something about how nice your 911 looks that I have only just noticed the Murcielago in the background!!
Thanks mate. That Murcie is my daily driver & sixspeed

Yeah when it rains here, some places get flooded! Some cars were badly flooded in basement carparks when the season gets real nasty.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

You have a Lambo as a daily driver??!! Some people have all the luck!

Awesome. Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NineEleven
As for the exhaust. Where & what do you guys recommend that I do?
Fabspeed is my all time favorite. For me it's the best, for others...probably not.

Quick Reply: My new 964C2 Cabriolet turbo look