Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do new tail lights need seals (for a '93)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Those are not the seals for the early cars. They go all the way around the lens.
That is very true. You can buy the 'all round seal' to change the seal on the original lights*. But the replacement lights are different and the 'all round seal' doesn't work with them. If you try and use it, the new light unit will not fit unless you really lean on the screwdriver and effectively stress the unit. I tried it.

That's why I ordered the new seals to go with my new style light unit. I put them on a few hours ago and this time it went in sweet as a nut.

*AFAIK it's not possible over here to buy the early style light unit (used ones will be pink, cracked, hazed, etc just like the one I needed to replace).
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Well, I put the old seal on my new lights. Once on, the light on one side was tight at the screw so I took a razor blade and trimed a little off the back of the seal and it worked great. The other side worked fine from the start so I racked this up to a difference in the bunper cover height on my car. Don't really know but it worked and those puppies are well sealed in the car

Do have a question though. When turned on the square in-board of the reverse lamps now glows a dim light that I am not sure the old center section did. Is this new or did I just not notice it before in the old faded center section?

Last edited by Steven C.; 06-14-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:32 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, I never thought of trimming the old one and can see that would work too.

Before you put the seal on did you notice if the black plastic rim on the new unit had vents in it? Mine does and the information I've found on Rennlist and other forums points to these being introduced to allow air to circulate around the back of the unit to keep it dry (this wouldn't work if it had a complete seal). It seems to work, as today it is really wet here and the new unit is clear while the other side and centre reflector are misted up as usual. Probably not so much of an issue for you guys in Tx.

I've not noticed the dim glow but then again I've never inspected the back in the dark. I guess it is probably normal.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, my new lights have vents and the old gasket does cover it....umh? May need to do some more research?

Quick Reply: Do new tail lights need seals (for a '93)?