Sponsored by:

high mileage but engine rebuilt or low mileage no engine rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:53 PM
opus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high mileage but engine rebuilt or low mileage no engine rebuilt

I have been looking around for a 964 C2. I have seen some high mileage ones - around 100,000-125,000 miles with engines that have been rebuilt. I have seen some lower mileage ones around 50,000 - 75,000 with no engine rebuilt. Assuming they are the same price, all else equal, which one am I better off going with?

I guess another way to put is... high mileage with known maintenance history, well maintained cars versus low mileage with unknown maintenance history. Which one would you go with?

I know I need a PPI on these cars.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

It all depends on who rebuilt the engine.......... imho..........
Old 06-01-2007, 11:48 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

At 100K or abouts, there are a lot of little bits that can start to go. Heater blowers, suspension, etc. If the rebuild was done at a good shop, and you KNOW the real reason for the rebuild then that's good. Just make sure that there has been other maintenance work performed regularly.

Good fishing!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:04 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Condition and history are more important than total mileage or status of engine rebuild. A significant fraction of rebuilds are botch jobs, so a rebuild on the engine can be a negative.

Figure about 5 cents per mile for engine maintenance and overhauls. Use that to adjust the sale price for cars with vastly different mileage. Add back 1 or 2 cents per mile for the miles on all the other systems. Stay away from any Porsche that appears to be poorly maintained - catching up is almost impossible.

When I did the math, it was easy to justify a little extra to get a garaged low-mileage car. After close to four years, I have had no expensive problems. Service and repair costs are running $1000/year - in the normal range for any 16-year-old car, and a tiny expense by exotic car standards.

Quick Reply: high mileage but engine rebuilt or low mileage no engine rebuilt