Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfromance upgrade parts.....UK if poss.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Excuse me, but can I have my topic back......

Kevin - is there anything you could do to the car to reduce weight as well as improving mechanical perfomance? Is this a route you'd consider?

Graham.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:03 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Weight thing, well it did cross my mind, I don't have aircon. Wouldn't remove the soundproofing or carpets as shes a family car as well as my sunday driver, I had considered the front seats, but not to put too finer point on it my pockets are of limited size this year..... so as I was going to replace the rear exhaust, get one of the RS clutch/flywheel kits, wondered what else I could whilst I was in there so to speak....

Kevin.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Kevin

A race battery would save you a lot of weight, depending what you have already. Inwas already using a msallish battery and saved 6 kgs. If you have a normal battery, you should be able to save about 14 kgs. It has it's downsides, such as not being able to leave the car for a more than a few days without running the battery down. However, this acn be overcome by using a trickle charger, which I know many RS owners do anyway.

Make sure there isn't any redundent junk in the car. I found a 12 year old tracker type system that, once stripped out, saved 3.5 kgs.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Jean

Those companies do remap Motronics but will only provide compete packages to their spec. They will not do custom remaps. I know. I have asked. What do I do if I don't want their menu approach to tuning, particularly as their prices are so over inflated!
Simon, most of the companies that I named as an example do not do their own mapping in-house. There are Motronic consultants out there doing the mapping for many of them, that's what I meant, they will do work for people who take their cars to them. However, send your modified car to Manthey for instance and ask them to do a tune up and ECU work on their dyno, and they will. Custom tuning is never inexpensive, be it Motec or Motronic or other.

OTOH, many of the configurations on these engines have now been done and redone time and time again so the files are out there available, Motronic will adapt quite well to different hardware changes, you can still get 90% there with nothing more than sending your ECU by mail, this would be the very inexpensive option, nowadays for less than $1000 (about 5 gallons of fuel in London? ) you can get your 964 ECU remapped and redone for free if not as you expected.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:17 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin,

I notice on your website that you to do RR remapping, is this for the stock ECU or? Is this beneficial from a standard car point of view... (964 3.6L Stock 250bhp, Cat / Cup fitted; Up to 295bhp.) taken from the site.
Is there something I'm missing...as I can overlook the obvious sometimes..........
I have to keep my cat fitted as she was registered in 93, so this combined with for starters the flywheel/clutch and Dual outlet exhaust look mightily attractive for a first look.

Kevin.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Kevin

You might need to keep a cat, but not necesarily the standard one. I have not checked for 964's but you can normally get a sports cat with less cells which allows the engine to breath but still gets through the MOT. Or refit a cat at MOT time.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:40 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
I am still looking at the Motec answers. No knock for timing/fuel control , no lamda for emmission control and yet this is the best !!!
Geoff
For the nth time, all Motec ecus come with narrow band lambda control as standard. Wide band lambda control is optional, which is more than you can say about Motronic.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:46 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Colin,

I notice on your website that you to do RR remapping, is this for the stock ECU or? Is this beneficial from a standard car point of view... (964 3.6L Stock 250bhp, Cat / Cup fitted; Up to 295bhp.) taken from the site.
Is there something I'm missing...as I can overlook the obvious sometimes..........
I have to keep my cat fitted as she was registered in 93, so this combined with for starters the flywheel/clutch and Dual outlet exhaust look mightily attractive for a first look.

Kevin.
Yes Kevin, we can remap your Motronic ecu and typically we see somewhere between 290-300hp after the job depending on the engine and specification. If it is a late model or RS engine, in perfect condition, running K&N with drilled airbox & cat bypass we have seen over 300hp and at best 305, which is not far behind your best MAF conversion on similar engine of 309hp. If you chose to run the standard cat you may lose 4-5hp at this level and a bit of mid range torque, however we will get all there is to be had from the system after a live remap. The engine is fuel sensitive, so I assume that we will remap to suit Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate (whichever you prefer).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perfromance upgrade parts.....UK if poss.