Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is extra lighter socket possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:28 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is extra lighter socket possible?

Hi guys

wondering if anyone has ever added an extra lighter socket in their dash?

There is a blanked out socket hole in the dash panel (see pic). I'm hoping it's just a matter of sourcing another lighter socket, then splitting the wires at the back and fitting the lighter? Seems obvious, so I would be surprised if no-one has attempted...

No, I'm not a heavy smoker... I just want to have my iPod plugged in, plus my mobile phone charger at the same time, so the electrical load/drain won't be too heavy.

Normally it's windows down and angry engine howling, but I sometimes need to commute, and when stuck in heavy traffic for an hour, it's windows up, tunes on, and maybe catch up with friends on the blower!

(btw, pic is not my car, just grabbed it from another post, please excuse my breach of "copyright", easier than taking another pic of what we all have - no additional gauges in my car)

Last edited by JohnMetro; 05-01-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 PM
IAN C2
Banned

easy job , as you say , but ...........
if yours only works with the ignition on i would wire it so its works with ignition off , then you can get a cheap solar powered topup charger
i got one , but my socket is only on with ignition , which means i cannot simply plug in , i have to mess around connecting on the battery .

personally , i think it will look naff !!!

i will send you a uk foglight switch will will look much better , and you can buy an adapter that lets you power 2 things off 1 cig lighter !!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by IAN C2
easy job , as you say , but ...........
if yours only works with the ignition on i would wire it so its works with ignition off , then you can get a cheap solar powered topup charger
i got one , but my socket is only on with ignition , which means i cannot simply plug in , i have to mess around connecting on the battery .

personally , i think it will look naff !!!

i will send you a uk foglight switch will will look much better , and you can buy an adapter that lets you power 2 things off 1 cig lighter !!
Thanks Ian

btw, why do I need to use with ignition off? (although I do enjoy some quiet one-on-one time with my car, in the privacy of my garage with no-one else around ) I only really use iPod and phone while driving. Also, where does the solar powered charger go? Do you mean in the car?

Very generous of your offer to send foglight switch... but what is that? Do you want me to PM you my street address for mailing
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 PM
IAN C2
Banned

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=stereo+shop

picture of my switches .
i have modded mine with 993 white ones , but have the old coloured ones .
it is not the full switch , just the **** , but you can get a switch from any 911 upto 993 to fill the hole .

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...OWERED&doy=5m4
this is a topup charger .
cheap and handy (if your cig lighter works with car the locked up !!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ter%20&doy=5m4
this is a 2way adapter (still not easthetically pleasing , but easily removed when not in use
Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
1990-964
Pro

Hello JohnMetro,

Yeah I know that it is not a picture of your car as it is one of my car that you used . It will not matter if you have one socket or two. The load you draw with more than one electrical accessory is going to be the same. Running two things off of an adapter from the one existing socket will work just the same and be simpler than getting into the dash.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by 1990-964
Hello JohnMetro,

Yeah I know that it is not a picture of your car as it is one of my car that you used . It will not matter if you have one socket or two. The load you draw with more than one electrical accessory is going to be the same. Running two things off of an adapter from the one existing socket will work just the same and be simpler than getting into the dash.
Hey 1990-964

Thanks. I think that was what I meant, just split the incoming lead into 2 to service both sockets (not add new wires all the way back to battery). Only wanted to avoid an adapter for the sake of neatness and appearances... ie. cosmetic (we're all so vain )

PS. Thanks for the use of pic, where do I send the royalty cheques???
Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John

I have a double adaptor that I can send to you FOC. You plug it into the cigarette lighter and remove when you want.
it is just gathering dust here and you can retain the smooth elegant lines of the Porche interior
You have my email - I can post today.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I just sold my cig lighter and receptacle on pelican (doh) but the way they work is a simple clamping pressure on either side of the hole. If you cut the hole right you'd be set - and I think 2 lighters would be cool, much cleaner look than a splitter, and if and when your gear is unplugged you can make jokes about how much you smoke.

Quick Reply: Is extra lighter socket possible?