Sponsored by:

Air Box question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Box question

After installing bilstine struts and H & R springs last week my car has seem to lost some power on the top end. I've been chasing this thing around for a week now trying to figure out what I did which was remove the airbox and fan. The mass air was loose in the rubber boot and fell out when I was removing the airbox.

Now, in another thread I posted it was brought up to me that it might be a vacuum leak so I pulled the airbox back off to make sure that the little line is on the vacuum reservoir which it is. Somewhere I read that there is supposed to be a big vacuum line going to the nipple on the airbox. Is that correct? The nipple on mine is blocked off and I can not find a line that would go there.

Is there anything else that would give me a loss of power in the upper RPM's.
Thanks.
Ritchie.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:55 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you disconnected your battery then the ECU was reset. It may take awhile for it to relearn the way you drive.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:52 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowducman
I've been chasing this thing around for a week now trying to figure out what I did which was remove the airbox and fan.
Did you disconnect any of the wires going from and to the ignition coils? Maybe check the AFM wiring harness.

Originally Posted by yellowducman
Somewhere I read that there is supposed to be a big vacuum line going to the nipple on the airbox. Is that correct? The nipple on mine is blocked off and I can not find a line that would go there.
The airbox nipple is supposed to be blocked off, Porsche didn't bother with sealing the transmission bellhousing and cooling the clutch disc until the 993.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:37 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loss of top end power could mean your vacumn operated resonance flap isn't opening.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:45 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll check the AFM wireing harness.

I didn't disconect the battery but I was thinking about doing it to reset the DME because before I worked on it the engine was probably sucking air after the mass air flow meter and not getting a proper reading and now that the clamp is tight maybe the computer needs to be reset?

What is the vacumn operated resonance flap?

Quick Reply: Air Box question