Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm obviously insane

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:31 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

yup. full disclosure. he knows what it needs.

I'm sad to see it go.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I loved that color.
You'll have another some day, maybe even a 993 next time.
I can't believe I said that...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:50 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Gotta say I have 0 interest in the 993. I bought this car mostly because of its aesthetic. Purity of line, pedigree, timelessness.

I've driven every Porsche from 964-997 and every variation in between. I prefer the way the 993 drives but the 964s styling really turns me on. In fact every subsequent iteration drives 'better' but that doesn't mean anyone should care.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

I agree wholeheartedly, I was just being a smart-aleck

I've only driven 964's, but they have everything I bought a Porsche for, in the right measure. I can't imagine the other models pleasing me any more than this one.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"I'd like to understand what is the problem with the valve here. It's obvious that there is a leak in the valve seal. You think the valve bent, cracked, or burned? Worn valve guide would not show up in a leakdown (unless it wobbles so
much), and the engine only need 1 quart of oil every 2K miles."

axl911
No I don't think bent, cracked, or burned , yet .
If the valve guide is worn , the side ways pressure from the rocker arm , will tilt the valve over to an angle such that the whole face of the valve will not sit on the whole valve seat .
If you look at an old worn valve guide , you will see that the guide is worn away opposite of the pressure from the rocker arm , a groove on one side is formed . This groove allows the valve stem to tilt over . When the valve stem tilts over all sorts of bad things start happening . One section of the valve touches down on the valve seat . This is a bending force and it causes that section of the seat to wear down faster then the rest of the seat . The seat starts out even , the valve touches down all around at the same time with the same force . The heat flow out of the valve head is near even as its going to be . When the valve starts tilting from valve guide damage , the bending , uneven flow past ,
the uneven wear of the seat etc etc etc , starts a chain of unpleasant things . So its best to take care of it asap .

Last edited by Indycam; 03-30-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
I'd like to understand what is the problem with the valve here. It's obvious that there is a leak in the valve seal. You think the valve bent, cracked, or burned? Worn valve guide would not show up in a leakdown (unless it wobbles so much), and the engine only need 1 quart of oil every 2K miles.

No I don't think bent, cracked, or burned , yet .
If the valve guide is worn , the side ways pressure from the rocker arm , will tilt the valve over to an angle such that the whole face of the valve will not sit on the whole valve seat .
If you look at an old worn valve guide , you will see that the guide is worn away opposite of the pressure from the rocker arm , a groove on one side is formed . This groove allows the valve stem to tilt over . When the valve stem tilts over all sorts of bad things start happening . One section of the valve touches down on the valve seat . This is a bending force and it causes that section of the seat to wear down faster then the rest of the seat . The seat starts out even , the valve touches down all around at the same time with the same force . The heat flow out of the valve head is near even as its going to be . When the valve starts tilting from valve guide damage , the bending , uneven flow past ,
the uneven wear of the seat etc etc etc , starts a chain of unpleasant things . So its best to take care of it asap .
I really don't have the depth of understanding to say. The car was checked by a dealer and a trustworthy independent recommended by a friend at PCNA and both concluded that because of the leakdown results that the valve guides needed replacing. The independent mech even took the heads off to check.

that's all I got.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Gotta say I have 0 interest in the 993."
So your not 100% nuts !
Old 03-30-2007, 03:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I've only driven 964's, but they have everything I bought a Porsche for, in the right measure. I can't imagine the other models pleasing me any more than this one.

you hit the nail on the head. greater performance does not necessarily mean greater enjoyment.

i think it will be interesting to see what people are doing with 997s in 16 years. i've got a sneaking suspicion that only the GT3s, RSs, Turbos and such will be of much interest to anyone.

only time will tell. one thing is for sure...they keep getting cheaper.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:48 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
yup. full disclosure. he knows what it needs.

I'm sad to see it go.

I'm sad to see it go too. I love that Avatar. One of the coolest 964 shots I've ever seen. Would you mind sending me a hi-res copy if I PM you my email?

Regards,

Steve
Old 03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

+1

I'd love to have a hi-res copy, too.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
+1

I'd love to have a hi-res copy, too.
anyone who wants one can email me at michael.lafave@drivenmag.com.

M

Quick Reply: I'm obviously insane