Sponsored by:

Need advice on maybe selling my 1991 C2 targa

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
BostonU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on maybe selling my 1991 C2 targa

I just wanted to get some input before I possibly put the car up for sale. I don't have time anymore. My kids are both under the age of 2, and I am traveling a lot with work. My questions:

1. The rear brakes will need to be replaced within 1000 miles. Should I replace before I put the car up for sale?

2. This was going to be the year for replacing tires. The tread life is ok, but was going to replace with Proxe RA-1's. Should I replace before I put the car up for sale?

3. The car is in excellent condition with no paint blemishes. I have done a lot of upgrades on the car: Bilstein HD's, HR Springs, Monty exhaust, Dansk Euro pre-muffler, Rennsport systems custom Performance chip, RS LWF and clutch (No Stalling issues), Porsche RS Adjustable Sway Bars, Cup Airbox, custom floormats (TARGA), Aluminum accents in the interior, and Boxster 17" rims. Also, the car has no oil leaks.

4. The car is fantastic, but I am really on the fence. I would like to sell and save the money and look for another Porsche within 2-3 years. Any advice would be great. Also, I have all of the original parts except the rims. What price should I be looking sell for. The car has 87,000 miles on it.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I would do both 1 and 2.

Not doing it makes it appear as though you are neglecting the car.

It will also possibly cause a buyer to discount the price more than the value of the work to be done rather than seeing the new parts as a "bonus" thus making the price seem lower.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately #1.

Maybe on 2.... The new owner might want to put his own brand on.

Give them the option that you would put tires on it if they want. Just factor it into the asking price, so you can deduct if they opt not to.

not sure on price...

My $0.02
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 & 2.

Why not turn it into a daily driver and sell the other car?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
gregC2
Instructor

My $.02; get a CarFax. A potential buyer did one and I got zinged on a state law that kept giving mileage "hits" after it was 10 years old, as if I was altering the mileage each year. My state doesn't record the mileage each year after 10 years old and CarFax doesn't make allowances for that; lost a few sales to people who thought I was trying to pull a fast one. Get the carfax and be prepared.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I would do both 1 and 2.

Not doing it makes it appear as though you are neglecting the car.

It will also possibly cause a buyer to discount the price more than the value of the work to be done rather than seeing the new parts as a "bonus" thus making the price seem lower.
Really on #2? Only a track-minded person would want a car with RA-1s.
Chris, I can't believe it! I've met few Porsche owners that obviously love their cars like you do.
I've only seen Chris and his car once but I have to tell you, I could not believe it had 87000 miles. The interior, exterior, engine, everything was just as clean as it could be. It looks like a car with half that mileage. The LWF was great to drive and the car pulls strong. Somebody is going to get a great car. I took some video that day, here's a short CLIP of the great-sounding exhaust.
Good luck with the sale Chris.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
eddychan
Racer

I would tell the buyer that he may consider both 1 & 2 when he buys the car. As for #1, it is in fact very straight forward which some people can DIY. now for #2, they may want to have P-zeros or SO3 so really I would simply explain to thebuyer honestly and see what happens.

I am regreting selling mine but I needed the money, to tell the truth, I sold it in a higher value than I paid for 5 years ago. I actually "earn" and the car appreciate in 5 years time. I lost money, some very heavily on my other cars......

Just my two cents!

Eddy
formally a 91 Coral Red 964, now a Cobalt blue 968.

Quick Reply: Need advice on maybe selling my 1991 C2 targa