Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backfire blowup---resultant high idle speed???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by drisin80
are you thinking i have a leak elsewhere??? also pulled the idle control valve-- inner part seems to move without any problems.
3000 RPM requires a pretty substantial sized leak somewhere after the throttle-body (between the intake valves and the throttle plate). I don't think any of the vacuum line fittings are large enough to feed something that big so that doesn't leave too many other spots? If you suspect a broken ISV you can try energizing it with a 9-volt battery, the inner flap should move. And the quickest diagnostic solution if you own an air compressor would be to pressurize the intake manifold to 5 PSI.

Originally Posted by drisin80
throttle fullly closed at idle??? how can i tell???
The throttle return spring is located on the upper left side of the intake manifold ( the idle speed switch is mounted to it). With the engine running you can just move the throttle with your fingers and the RPMs should rise and fall.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be more than a vacuum line fittings . Could be a brand new hole or crack .
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
drisin80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got in from working on car. problem seems to be throttle not closed completely. what happens now is that since the throttle closes most of the way-- but not enough to engage the idle speed microswitch, the engine slows to 500 rpms. if i understand correctly, the idle speed switch somehow sends a signal to the idle speed control valve which controls idle speed through the dme. my question is how to adjust the throttle cable so it will relax another 3 mm to engage the idle speed switch???? thanks for all the help. tom
Old 03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The main throttle cable adjuster is located behind the accelerator pedal. Remember that when you tension the throttle cable the WOT switch should also activate at close to full throttle, you'll hear it click in the engine compartment.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If the explosion bent the throttle plate or the shaft, that is the problem.

Jason: thanks for the pics and your willingness to post them about this and other topics. I am envious of your photography skills. What type of camera is that?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:52 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by springer3
What type of camera is that?
Just a crappy 10 year old, 1.3 megapixel Olympus. I have a new toy with 10 times the resolution, better color fidelity and a much higher dynamic range but I haven't taken many photos.

Quick Reply: backfire blowup---resultant high idle speed???