Sponsored by:

Installed Springs struts Possible Motor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:46 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed Springs struts Possible Motor Problem

Got done installing my Bilstines, H & R Greens today except for setting the ride hight (doing that tomorrow) then its off to the alignment shop. During the install today while I was removing my air box to get to the rear right one the mass air meter was loose in the rubber boot that it slips in to. It would pull in and out. I continued to remove the air box (broke one of the little rubber mounts that hold it to the intake so I didn't try to remove the other one) but I did remove the box from the mass air meter and moved it out the the way enough to get to the nut I couldn't remove. While the mass air meter was loose and hanging there I remove the clamp and flipped it around so I could get to it to tighten it up when everything was replace which is what I did.

After everything was put back together I took the car for a test drive and it doesn't seem to want to pull as hard in the upper RPM's like It used to. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the mass air meter or if it was sucking air on the back side of it before and now that it is not the computer needs to be reset or something.

Is there a way to check the meter? Would I be getting a check engine light if it wasn't working right? This is the first 80+ degree day I have driven the car in so it could be something else.

Also, does anybody know where I should look to get that little rubber mounting piece that mounts the airbox to the intake. Also I have a 90 C2.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
IAN C2
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you ma have a vacuum leak .
check all the pipework around the inlet manifoilds/throttlebody
Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you do the shocks and springs yourself? I am about to do the same set up? If you did it yourself, how long did it take you? Any advice or pointers would be helpful.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine, one day for the rears and one day for the fronts, including all the time to clean the wells.

You will need an assistant to push down on the rear wheel to get the bottom of the shock to line up with the trailing arm when you go to reinstall.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:55 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

I had about a day and a half for mine. Not too bad. I invested in a pressure bleeder for the brake system and it helped allot to get the brakes bleed by my self. Highly recommended.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It took 2 of us a little over a day to do 2 of our cars. The first was a learning the 2nd was easier except being a TIP a lot of plumbing was in the way on the left rear top bolts.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 429 Posts

If you removed the entire air-filter box from the engine, did you remember to plug back in the vacuum reservoir that is attached to the filter box? It has a vacuum line that goes back up to the manifold - if you didn't know it was there, it's easy to not know you unplugged it, especially if it gets unplugged at the reservoir versus the manifold because it's hiding from you down on the back of the box.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

I'll pull it back off and take a look. Can you see \ feel it with just the cover removed or does the whole airbox have to be removed? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
You will need an assistant to push down on the rear wheel to get the bottom of the shock to line up with the trailing arm when you go to reinstall.
Nope I did mine solo (I have no friends... ). I just lubed the top mount with dishwasing liquid (a great lube that dries out) and stuff it in place then slipped the bolt in the trailing arm and secured the top nuts.

Marc
Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my AFM off a while ago, when I put it back on it did not slip onto the boot correctly. I rolled the boot over when it went on and there was a leak there.
Check that the AFM is in the boot all the way and it is sealed all the way around.

Quick Reply: Installed Springs struts Possible Motor Problem