Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Same car, different viewpoints!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same car, different viewpoints!

My car is being serviced and prepared for its first race on Sunday. I have taken it to a company called PR Technology. Now, these gys are pretty serious race engineers and the machinery they work in is simply mouthwatering! I have known of them for a couple of years and knew of their reputation.

Some of you might remember Alistair who worked at JAZ (in the UK). He knew I was in Oz, contacted me asking my opinion of where he might get a job as he is over here. Following my suggestion, he now works for PR, which bring us to the real story!

I have always been fairly happy that my car is a good example of the marque but how wrong I was.........or at least in some areas from an Aussie viewpoint.

The technician allocated to me car hoisted up and nearly had a heart attack. In his words, it looked as if the car had been left in the ocean for a few months. This was due to the rusted bolts etc under the car. However, while helping this poor guy to his feet, Alistair had a look and remarked what a clean example the car was, compared with other UK cars!

So we will be embarking on a programme of underbody restoration over the next few months. No rush, but if we can get the bottom to be the same standard as the rest, the car could end up being even more special. Isn't it great to live in a country that doesn't use salt on the roads!

The other pleasing thing is that these guys seem to know what they are doing. Having the (long) history, I know the car pretty well and they haven't missed any of the minor points we have been keeping an eye on over the last few years.

I am not looking forward to the bill! Besides the normal service and replace brake fluid, I am also having a full geometry and corner weighting done. In addition, they found that the braided brake pipes aren't approved for use on the road down here! While it has passed import inspection, there is a concern that should I be involved in an accident, I could have problems so its new braids all round.

Oh, and then there are the new R888 race tyres that the wife doesn't know about

I will report back when I get the car back.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

What kind of racing series are you running in? Is it all Porsches or are there other marques?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:56 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The series is run by the Porsche Club of New South Wales and is Porsche only, divided up into 5 classes (I think!). There are 2 types of event. Half are "Super Sprints" which are effectively timed laps of a race circuit - practice in the morning and then 2 or 3 timed sessions of 4 laps, best time to count.

The other events are Motorkhanas, timed laps of a tight course around witches hats.

First event on Sunday is a sprint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Same car, different viewpoints!