Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have You Got the ProMax Chip? Worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:33 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have You Got the ProMax Chip? Worthwhile?

Have you fitted a ProMax performance chip in your 964? If so I would greatly appreciate your opinion as to its performance and whether or not you could recommend fitting one. Send me a PM if you wish to keep your views private.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian,
I was going to PM you this but maybe others want to see this.
Here was my experience:
I bought a chip from ProMax on a "sale" price offer from them here on RL. Less than 1 month after I bought it they released an "improved" version (they advertised here). I went back and asked why (via PMs here on RL) and was told the sale and release of the new chip was not premeditated. OK.
ProMax then offered to allow me to upgrade for $35. I chose not to do any further business with them and will not in the future. Clearly the new chip was in development when the sale happened.

The difference between old and new I was told is:
The "old" chip I bought has an RPM limit of 7100 rpm. The later chip has an RPM limit of 6850. The later chip has slightly more ignition advance after 4,000 rpm and slightly different fuel characteristics to compensate.

So, all of that said, I never put it in. Funny huh?
I sure didn't see any reason to raise the rpm limit. Why take that risk?
After better educating myself I came to the conclusion (some will disagree, and that's ok) the difference would be negligible to nil on California pump gas. The detonation sensors would limit the advance. In my case (if not all cases) the limiting factor is not the DME, rather the fuel.

So, there is my story. I tried to stick to the facts, hopefully this helps.
Now to take cover
Old 03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a Version 1 ProMax chip that was modified to reduce the rev limit back down to 6850 (after I realized it was 7100 - something I was not told of either). They did send me a Version 2 chip but I have not installed it.

The V1 chip, along with the AFM and exhaust mods, returned 238 hp at the wheels (so about 285 fwhp figuring on a 20% C4 drive train loss). I can't speak for how much of it is chip and how much is the other things I have done. Either way, I am happy with the power my 16 year old car is putting out.

Marc
Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I was looking forward to the ProMax guy posting some plots, as he said he would. If they were posted somewhere else I would appreciate a link.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the v1 chip in my 1990 C2 with a cat bypass, fabspeed exhaust and cup airbox. It's hard to say what difference (if any) the chip has made, but at least it hasn't brought me any trouble.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkD
I went back and asked why (via PMs here on RL) and was told the sale and release of the new chip was not premeditated. OK.
ProMax then offered to allow me to upgrade for $35. I chose not to do any further business with them and will not in the future. Clearly the new chip was in development when the sale happened.

The difference between old and new I was told is:
The "old" chip I bought has an RPM limit of 7100 rpm. The later chip has an RPM limit of 6850. The later chip has slightly more ignition advance after 4,000 rpm and slightly different fuel characteristics to compensate.
Hi Mark,

As I explained to you at the time - the revised version was developed and released after your chip was supplied. Changing the RPM limit and some of the other characteristics took us about 45 mins on the computer - this was done in response to some concerns that a 7100 rpm limit was too high (since unproven to my knowledge). Hence, again - it was not 'in development' when your chip was supplied. All manufacturers reserve the right to change and amend product - I am sorry that you still don't believe the explanation I gave you at the time.

The ProMAX 964 chip has been a very effective upgrade for many 964 owners - but it is fair to say that it has been no where near as popular as the 944 or 968 versions (particularly in the USA). What is ironinc is that the benefit achieved on the 964 is quite substantial (compared to a 944S2 for example) - providing you have access to 98/99 RON fuel (93 RON/MON in the USA).

For anybody that may still be considering this upgrade, there are numerous testimonials on the website and the chip is still supplied with a 14 day money back guarantee (30 days for US purchasers). For the cost, it's a very effective upgrade (in terms of performance gained for dollars spent).

Again, I am sorry Mark that you chose not to use the chip you were supplied with.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com

We have moved: see www.promax.eclipse.co.uk/workshop.htm for more info
Old 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think there is a difference, but have not dyno'd it to prove it. Maybe wishful maybe not, but I have no issues except the rev limit.

Andrew,
What is the cost of either modifiying my chip or swapping for the newer version to get the 6850 RPM limit. If it is really $35, as Mark states in his post, I would like to do it. Makes me nervous running mine to the redline... as it gets there soooo fast.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:08 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will burn off 5 chips this weekend (6850 RPM limit) and will send you one free of charge (please send an email to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com). The other 4 are available free of charge to Rennlist members subject to posting an honest review of the chip here on the forum - just say honestly what you think and you can keep the chip (or sell it on eBay). This is for the 964 model only (does not apply to any other model) and is applicable to Rennlist Members.

Conditions of offer:
[1] The chip will be supplied free of charge to Wysbert and 4 other Rennlist Members
[2] The chip will be supplied for the 964 model only
[3] The user must post a report detailing installation and usage experience on this forum within 3 weeks of receipt
[4] The user accepts all risks associated with fitting and usage (see disclaimer on the website) - www.promaxmotorsport.com
[5] The user must attempt to use the chip prior to writing the Rennlist report.

Usual retail price is £149.95 ($275 USD) - hence this is a strictly limited offer and will operate on a first come first served basis.

Requests must be made directly to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com with the subject 'Rennlist 964 Chip Offer'.

Have a great day and a great 964 driving weekend!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-30-2007, 04:13 AM
Twood
Racer

Email sent
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 AM
PWW
Instructor

email sent here as well.. Always willing to try something thats free
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi All,

That's all 5 taken! (wow, that was quick). I'll list the individuals here later. All will be sent this weekend.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
Hi All,

That's all 5 taken! (wow, that was quick). I'll list the individuals here later. All will be sent this weekend.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Pffff! What about Canada??
Old 03-30-2007, 09:32 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Very generous of you Andrew and THANKS! Will post as requested.
email sent.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Its good that some rennlisters responded quickly to take you up on your offer. I'll be anxious to hear their unbiased reports within the three weeks of installation. What would REALLY be helpful would be if at least a couple of you guys that took the offer would get a before-and-after dyno. That's what I would do with a chip installation to see the actual results. Otherwise, all is subjective. Also, it would be good to know which of the people posting chip reviews are burning 93 octane gas and which are using 91 octane gas. Just trying to help you come up with some meaningful reviews.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:26 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Did Loren get one?

Quick Reply: Have You Got the ProMax Chip? Worthwhile?