Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip Detroit to Mexico City. I want to run 4 identical wheels and tires.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A movie I really enjoy is called "Siestas and Olas". Its a surf documentary about three guys from California who buy an old beater 80's model 4 wheel drive Suburban just for the trip and drive it loaded with surf boards all the way down Baja and then ferry over to the mainland (when they run out of Baja) and then continue all the way down to the southern end of Mexico. The whole way down, they do nothing but look for surf spots. Low budget production, but a great feeling film nonetheless.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best friend tells a childhood story of his family - mom, dad, brother, himself - driving to Mexico City from Austin in his dad's black 1960 356 roadster back in the late 60's. My friend owns that same car today. That car and many others that his dad owned when we were growing up is what started it all for me with regard to Porsches.

I too don't want to bash Mexico and really used to love going there. I love the culture, the people, the music and most of all, the food! I've just had enough first hand bad experiences in the past 10 years to make it not worth the effort anymore unless you are flying to a resort type area. It's not the fault of the everyday people in Mexico, rather the drug lords and the inherently corrupt goverment. I would be very happy if we could return to the days of being able to drive your Porsche with your family all the way to Mexico City. Unfortunately, that will probably never happen.

Steve
Old 03-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived in Mexico City for many years and my advise (sadly) is to avoid Mexico City. The risk of driving in the wrong area is just too much besides the city is huge and difficult to drive. Driving in a 964-C4 Porsche you will definitely stand out although driving a new one not so much cause there's a lot them. Unfortunately the worst from Columbia, Peru, Venezula,etc. moved north and nowadays kidnapping is extremelly common.
If you were driving a local car and you were with some local driver or someone who knows the city then you're up for the time of your life... People are generous and happy to make you feel welcome.
All my colleagues were so happy after working there for a few weeks that some almost fought to get transferred, yes that nice... and the food.. my God... that is the best..
Old 03-18-2007, 12:32 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I would be very happy if we could return to the days of being able to drive your Porsche with your family all the way to Mexico City. Unfortunately, that will probably never happen.

Steve
Brings back memories... When I was a kid, my dad drove us (mom, dad, and three kids) in his GTO from Houston to Monterey, Mexico and beyond on a family vacation. It was a big adventure from a kid's perspective. In fact, we were there in the public square in Monterey in 1969 when Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon! We watched it in Spanish on a TV someone had set up. Funny how you remember that stuff.

I don't know that I would ever make that same drive today....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road trip Detroit to Mexico City. I want to run 4 identical wheels and tires.