Sponsored by:

People with H & R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default People with H & R Springs

I'm getting ready to purchase some bilstines and springs for my 90 C2 and was planning on going with H & R greens. After talking to another rennlister, he said they tend to have the coils bounce off each other and make noise at slower speeds on bumps. He recommended the eibachs. Do any other owners have that problem? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, bought my H&R springs two years ago with Bilsteins HDs. You will find plenty of owners here recommend this setup. This was a big factor in my decision. I am very happy with them.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

I have H&R springs with stock shocks. PO installed that way. No issues with noise at lower speeds.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:49 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Ok, after doing a little more research, it looks like the H & R springs are not much stiffer that stock. That with a lower ride hight seems to make the rear strut bottom out. What I'm not sure is if this is just a early 964 problem (before 91) because of the different struts on the rear. The clunk is described in other post as happening at slow speeds over bumps. Does anybody else have any input. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like something else is wrong or damaged, I've had H&R reds and Bilsteins combo works great, I've not heard of any issue with greens from the guy's I know running them.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 AM
deoxford
Pro

Not to rob the thread but I am getting ready to do the same, where do you find the H&R reds?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:07 AM
BostonU
Advanced

No Problems with HR Springs and Green HD's. The car you are talking about is not set up correctly.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have H & R reds and no problems. Transforms the cars handleing. They are progressive springs so they are initially soft and firm up the more they are compressed.

Derek, Many places sell H & R. Tire Rack http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/hr.jsp is a good place to start or watch the classifieds on Pelican or Rennlist
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

I had H&R greens on my 89 C4 with factory struts. They worked very well. No problems at all.

I am in the process of looking to put new springs and struts on my 91 cab. I am going with H&R springs. Not sure which strut I am going with just yet. koni or bilstiens?

Jeff
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 AM
deoxford
Pro

Craig,
I see you are running both Konis and Bilstien, what to you think of that set up?
Do you track the car much?
I have a brand new set of the Koni rears that I bought , butI have not decided if I am going to use them yet.
When you say Turbo springs, does that mean you order the spring as if they are going on the turbo of the same year?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
mada1
Racer

I have reds/bilstiens and really like them. Recently took a drive with my brother and he commented on how much " smoother" it was than stock.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM
CraigC
Racer

Derek,
I guess Im a little unorthodox because Im running 2 different brands of shocks but the Konis are adjustable for rebound and the Bilstiens are not. I did some research on Bilstiens and many people we having their front Bilstiens revalved because they were harsh causing the front end to skip across chattery surfaces while turning. Because the Konis are adjustable I felt I would be able to set them at the level that worked best. Then a good deal on some lightly used rear Bilstiens came along and I bought them. I have no issues at all with incompatability and the car handles great. If I did have Koni adjustable on the rear I doubt if I would ever change the adjustment because its hard to easily get to the top of she shocks without taking off a bunch of engine stuff. If the deal on the rear shocks had not come along I would have gone with Konis.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem I've heard about is when people try to save some money by putting in new springs without also replacing the shocks/struts, leaving the factory shocks/struts in place. If you replace the springs, you also need to replace the shocks/struts.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My H&R/Bilstien setup on my 89 C4 causes no noises over bumps whatsoever. I will say that compared to stock you have to expect a bumpier ride. If its a comfy ride your looking for vs. superior handling then a stock suspension may be better than either eibach's or H&R's...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:04 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replys guys. Placed my order for my Bilstines and H & Rs today. It's nice to have so much information avaible like this. Renlist is a awsome place.

Ritchie

Quick Reply: People with H & R Springs